Chapter 18 - Rest in Peace

Sally listened as the melody played. Her mind temporarily emptied and all she knew at the moment is the soft music.
Though it's kind of muffled, the sounds of Hoodie, Masky, and Jeff's voices are heard.
Sally didn't pay any attention to them. Instead, she is captivated by the box. It was like the music was lulling her into an enchantment, where she doesn't think or feel. It was a dulling, numbing feeling, and she openly accepted it, willing to let it erase her pain and chaotic emotions. Her eyelids droop as her mind slowly shuts down, and she feels a slight tug in her psyche, as if the music is pulling her towards the box.
It's so soft...
Then the sound of a door slamming shut and the heavy footsteps stomping up the stairs snapped her out of her trance. She blinks and her gaze lifts from the toy in her hand. The thudding of the footsteps rang through the hall outside the room, and then another door opened and slammed shut.
The house is quiet now, completely silent. It took her a moment to realize that the music box had stopped playing its hypnotizing melody.
Sally isn't sure what she should do. What is there to do? She can go out again, but that would be a hassle with all the security out there.
Should she go to her house? She probably should, since Jeff wants her out anyway.
Sally climbed off of the bed and grabbed her knife.
She doesn't care about all of the police out there, she can't sit around. She needs to move.
She set the music box onto the bed, but the moment her skin no longer touched the box, that soothing numbness faded, leaving her with the burden of grief.
Of course, she thought that it was kind of odd that a small box can have that kind of effect on her, but she decided not to think much of it.
Then she left the room, softly closing the door behind her.
She walked down the hall and went down the stairs with the usual agonizing pace, then headed for the back door.
Sally realized that Hoodie and Masky are no longer here, so they must have already left.
She made her way out of the house, deeply inhaling in the night air. The moonlight shone on her with its soft glow and glinted off of her sharp knife dangerously.
Sally didn't go around to the front, instead, she went into the group of trees behind the house. She walked through the dark woods, careful not to trip over the uneven ground or any roots, and she used the soft light of the moon guide her way through the small wooded area.
She had been wandering for a while. She's not sure how long it's been, but she soon began to notice something strange up ahead. It seems to be some sort of fence.
A black fence with tall bars that had points at the tip and intricate designs.
Sally headed towards it, but then she stopped in her tracks when she realized what is just past that fence.
A graveyard.
She's never been to a cemetery before, and now it seems to pull her towards it in some invisible grasp. She was partially frightened, because not only did the place look eerie, it felt wrong, too. But she also felt that she needed to go there, that there's something she needs to see.
She began walking towards it again, her hands trembling slightly as she came closer to the fence.
Now, Sally stands in front of the fence and her hand, the one that isn't holding her knife, lifted to grab hold of one of the bars as she peeked through. Just several feet from her is a row of graves. She knows that below those graves are people who have lost their lives by one of many ways.
Her young imagination took over as she thought of them coming to life, chasing her and haunting her, with sharp claws and red eyes and teeth ready to eat her like those monsters she had used to fear.
She had to remind herself that she's one of them, though.
Sally let her hand fall back to her side, and then she closed her eyes softly. She tried to remember how to use her strange ability to transport immediately to an area within short distance of her, like she had several nights before. She wants to learn how to manipulate her strength and speed, because usually, it only comes to her when she's frenzied with rage.
She imagined the power she had felt when she momentarily accepted her immortality and strength, as she took it to her advantage as she killed those policemen only hours earlier. It brushed through her like a wind, filling her with energy and she lightly gasped at the breathtaking feeling.
Then she opened her eyes and found herself exactly where she had hoped; within the fence area, in the cemetery. She glanced behind her to see the fence as proof that she has truly entered this territory of the dead.
Sally realizes that she should start using this power more often. However, it should only be used when it's truly needed. Unless it's an important situation, she will walk.
Sally turned to face the open area filled with many, many rows of graves. Hundreds-- no-- thousands of them are here, within the distance is a church building, just barely visible under the moonlight and the shadows of the trees around it. There are quite a few tombs here and there for the more wealthy of families. There are many more plates of concrete on the ground, same as the graves with stone statues, all with names and dates carved into them for the world to remember that they have existed.
Sally roamed along the rows, looking at the names of all sorts of people of all sorts of ages. Many of the burials are old, but she has found some that seemed to have been buried recently.
She kept moving forward, her legs seemed to no longer be her own as they aimlessly walked in a certain direction, and a mental tug is her only guide.
As she walked through the graveyard, there are a few graves that caught her sight. They are in a row.
Then she saw their names.