Chapter 39 - Wrath of the World

Sally blinked as realization hit her. Today's her birthday.
Laughing Jack's smile widened and he leaned away, but then they both heard the soft creek of shifting weight just outside the door.
"Looks like we have company," Jack whispered and laughed softly. That's when the door opened.
Sally glanced over to see Liu step in with caution in his expression, which changed into surprise when he saw Sally.
"Hey, you're...Maria's daughter, aren't you." He murmured, his eyebrows furrowing as he stepped closer to her.
Sally took a step back and glanced over to see that Laughing Jack had vanished.
Liu's blue eyes shifted to the blood-crusted knife tight in Sally's grip. "What are you doing with that?"
He took another step towards her.
She shook her head. "S-Stay away from me! I don't want to hurt you!"
Liu raised an eyebrow. "Hurt me?"
"I-I-I'm dangerous, I can't control myself, I'm a monster!" She warned, her green eyes now looking up to meet his with a pleading expression.
"Maria told me you died, so how are you here?" Liu asked, seeming to be ignoring what she's saying.
She swallowed hard. "I am dead."
"Then how-"
"I don't know!" Sally raised her voice as bloodied tears filled her eyes, her body trembling with the emotions she's trying so hard to keep under control. "I-I wish I knew...I wish I knew why I'm like this, but I don't have any answers. It will be best if you just stay away. I have already put you and Mommy in enough trouble."
Sally breathed deeply to keep her rampaging mind under containment, but even she doesn't know how long that will last.
"I've killed...I've killed people, and I like killing people. Don't you see? I'm a monster! A murderer! I can't control it and it's getting worse and worse. Please, I don't want to hurt any more people I care about."
Despite all that Sally said, Liu gave her a soft smile, as if her words didn't affect him.
"My brother is a serial killer. Have you forgotten that?" He said. "You think I don't already know these things? You thought wrong."
Sally looked down. Oh yeah, Liu is Jeff's brother.
Then she looked back up at him. "Th-That doesn't mean anything, I'm still dangerous and I can still kill you. I don't want to do that."
This is her own fault, she shouldn't have come here.
"You know, you could probably control it." Liu said smoothly, crossing his arms and leaning against the empty wall. "You just need to fight back hard enough."
Sally shook her head, but she couldn't help but to think. Can she really control it? Could there be a way?
No, there's no way she can control it forever.
"No, you don't understand," she whispered, but then she spoke louder. "I'm immortal, I can never die. Even if I did find a way to control it, I can't control it forever...it's impossible."
Liu rubbed his chin. "Maybe, but maybe not. But just try, and after a while of practicing, it'll be easier. Maybe one day, you would be able to control it without even trying."
Sally kept silent after that. Maybe he's right. Maybe she can control it. Maybe she can fix this, push away the bloodlust bit my bit, then obliterate it completely.
Maybe...
Sally blinked when she saw something move in the shadows behind Liu.
Her emerald eyes widened when she saw a figure take shape, then step out of the darkness, revealing the identity.
Laughing Jack smiled wickedly as he glared at the back of Liu's head, then he raised a knife, ready to stab Liu.
That's when Sally shouted.
"No, Jack! Don't!"
But she was too late.

--                                                                         

"Strange," Eyeless Jack muttered under his breath as he noticed the lack of security throughout the rather large city. Of course, he maintained his cautiousness, but this really is odd.
In a city where the most wanted killers are, there's hardly any police.
Jack heard yesterday that the S.W.A.T would take action here, but now that seems unlikely.
He sighed quietly and continued his stealthy stroll through the city, his head spinning with possible reasons that this is happening.
He knows there's no way the city just gave up on it, so maybe something's happening, something that Jack, for once, doesn't know about.
And that slightly concerns him.

--                                                                         

"The recipe to making homemade fried beans is-"
Click.
"How can you do this to me!? I thought you-"
Click.
"-shouldn't do that! It's not-"
Click.
Ben sighed as he effortlessly flipped through the channels of the television in an empty apartment, but his mind is elsewhere. He couldn't stop himself from seeing Sally's eyes, so full of pain and despair, staring into his. Her face, streaked with bloodied tears, twisted in sorrow. Her voice speared through his head like a blade.
"I hate you, Ben! I hate you!"
He stopped searching through channels and found himself on the news channel.
"...tensions in these countries reached critical levels and the foreign bombers are quickly making their way to the US. The American Air Force is quick to take action, but I'm afraid to say that this is war."
Ben sat up straighter, obviously interested in this news. And it's an excuse to keep his mind off of...things.
"Hm..."

--                                                                          

Jeff coughed and blood spewed from his scarred lips as he did. The blade is buried deeply into his stomach, and Jane is the one who put it there.
"How's that feel, Jeffery?" Jane mocked, then she twisted the blade, tearing at his clothes and flesh. Blood poured from the wound and Jeff could do nothing but sit rigidly still as he attempted to ignore the pain.
"Brilliant," Jeff responded through clenched teeth as he glared at the woman who towered over him.
Jane yanked the knife from his stomach and he coughed again, more blood spraying from his mouth.
"I'm glad I could make you feel better," Jane said sarcastically in a smooth tone, now sneering down at him. "Would you like some more?"
"Bite me," Jeff growled, then he used the remaining strength he had to lift his head, and then he spat at her. Blood and saliva splattered in Jane's face, and at first, she seemed unfazed, but then her expression changed into that of utter fury.
She screamed in rage and looked as if she was about to stab him again, but this time, to make it fatal, but then they both heard something strange coming from outside.
Jane paused and she tilted her head to listen closer. There is a humming, or a buzzing sound, getting louder.
The noise is so powerful, they both feel the vibrations in the air from it. The noise now seems to be above the house, and moving away.
Then they both recognized the sound as multiple engines in the air, aircrafts of some sort slicing through the sky.
Then, Jane laughed. "So, it has begun."
Jeff gritted his teeth in irritation at the fact that she knew more about what's happening than he does. "What has begun?"
The only response he received was a sly smirk.