Chapter 36 - Everything Good Dies

It was dead silent as Malcolm and Sally stared at each other in shock.
The spattered blood on Sally's face dripped down her cheek and off her chin. Her emerald gaze stared deeply into the wide, horrified ocean blue orbs. The air was heavy and it seemed to get darker outside when thick clouds began rolling in. There's a rumble of thunder in the distance.
Malcolm's trembling hands slowly lifted and he grabbed the sides of his head as he stared at the scene before him.
"A...ahh...." He breathed.
Oh no, he's going to scream.
"M-Malcolm," Sally whispered, quickly standing up.
Malcolm's breathing sped up and his face went pale.
Thunder boomed again from afar and Sally knew that a small storm is coming, but right now, she's distracted by the boy before her.
Malcolm still seemed in shock, but his shaking eyes shifted to the bloody knife in Sally's hand.
Sally followed his gaze and saw her knife in her hand, too, but then the realization of what she had done hit her.
She just killed Alexis.
Right at that second, Malcolm quickly stepped towards Sally, smacking her knife from her hand. She didn't stop him as her grabbed her arm and pulled her into the house.
Sally's eyes widened again and her breath caught in her throat as she stumbled to catch up with Malcolm's speed.
What is he doing? Why is he taking her inside? Is he going to tell Samantha and Keith?
She was about to struggle from his hold before they went inside, but Malcolm opened the back door and they walked through the empty kitchen. Where did Samantha and Keith go?
Malcolm pulled her up the stairs and down the hall, then opened a door that led into a bathroom, not the same bathroom that's downstairs.
He pulled Sally in and closed the door, then quickly ran over to the bathtub and turned on the water. The running water roared, but it didn't seem to break the heavy silence.
"Wh...What are you...?" Sally asked, but Malcolm didn't look at her.
"Y-You..." Malcolm whispered, and his voice is shaking as much as his body is. "You're...d-dirty. Y-You need to...get washed..."
Sally is confused, but she didn't have time to think about it before Malcolm quickly turned and walked out of the bathroom, closing the door behind him.
Sally stared at the closed door for a few moments, processing what had just happened.
The sound of the running bath water drowned out her thoughts and she numbly looked back at the bathtub, watching as it slowly filled with water.
Sally looked down at herself, her vision catching sight of the fresh blood on her arms, legs, and nightgown.
She probably should get washed.
First, she began unwrapping the bandages from her head.
Then Sally removed her clothing and set it aside, then slowly stepped into the tub. Of course, the new movement made her legs and abdomen hurt, but she managed to ignore the pain as she stepped into the warm water.
She let the water rise until it reached just above her ankles, then she turned the water supply off. She grabbed one of the small rags sitting on the bar beside the tub, then the soap, and slowly began washing.
The bath water quickly went from clear to pink to red, and the dirt only made it darker.
Even the foam from the mixture of soap and water is pink from the blood, but eventually, Sally's small body is clean. Sally hesitated when she reached for the shampoo, but then decided to grab it and squirt some on her hand, then rubbed it into her wet hair, careful not to get any on her wound.
After that, she turned on the faucet again, not all the way, but enough to let out a decent amount of water. Sally dipped her head under the running water and used one of her hands to go through her hair, making the shampoo wash out.
Sally tried to ignore the pain it brought her when she felt the water run shampoo into the gash on her head, but it hurt a lot and she couldn't help but to wince and whimper. The water soon washed it all off, and she turned the knob until the water didn't run anymore.
She let the water drain and stepped out of the tub, feeling...different. It's been a while since she had taken a real bath. She grabbed a towel from the towel rack and dried herself off, and just as she was about to pull her old, dirty clothing back on, the door opened slightly, enough for a small hand to reach in, holding out a pink fabric.
Sally covered herself with the towel, even if they can't see her, and she reached out and grabbed the clothing, then the door closed.
She unfolded the clothing to reveal a small, pink dress. No longer will Sally wear a nightgown.
It's clean and the fabric is soft and comfortable. It seems slightly smaller than Sally's nightgown, so this must be Alexis's dress.
Nonetheless, Sally pulled it over her head and fixed it to fit her, and the hem of the dress fell around her knees. It is small, but it fits, since Sally isn't much bigger than Alexis. Sally's long brown hair fell around her small waist in a tangled, wet mess.
Sally slowly stepped out of the bathroom once she was fully dressed, then she jumped in surprise to see Malcolm standing right outside the bathroom. The second she stepped out, he walked in, picked up her ruined nightgown, then dumped it into the trash and burying it deep, hiding the evidence.
He moved frantically and he still won't look at her. His pale expression is frozen, unable to show anything but an emotionless mask. He's in shock, not knowing what he's doing or why.
Then Sally heard the sound of sirens getting closer to the house and she gasped.
Ambulance? Police? Both?
Either way, Sally knew that she has to get out of here.
She quickly made her way down the hall, then down the stairs, but she's too late. The front door opened and a few cops and paramedics walked in. Few saw her, but none questioned her or even looked twice.
They walked past the living room, the kitchen, then out the back door, where Keith and Samantha crouched, holding each other and crying over the bloodied body of their slaughtered daughter.
She should've known that they'd find her soon. For the first time, Sally felt guilty for killing Alexis. Of course, she is guilty for the girl's death, but never before has she felt remorse for ending a life until now.
Malcolm walked past her, still with an emotionless expression, but his eyes revealed his sorrow and agony he felt at the loss. As the paramedics lifted the body and the police handled the crime scene, Malcolm went over to his parents. He walked stiffly and numbly, he even stumbled a bit, but Samantha looked up with tear filled eyes filled with deep despair, then she hugged her son tightly to her and sobbed onto his shoulder. Keith wrapped his arms around the two and cried silently.
Malcolm's eyes filled with tears and one slid down his pale cheek, then he closed his eyes.
Sally stood, feeling numb as she watched this. She feels as if she could drown in this sadness that filled the air.
She could almost feel the blood still on her hands, although it's no longer there. It just reminded her that this is her fault. She killed Alexis and now this family is left in misery. And Malcolm witnessed her do it.
Sally remembered the horror in his eyes when she met his gaze, how shocked and terrified he was.
She remembered when she first met them, how happy and full of light they were. Now, she caused a tidal wave and it crashed on this family hard, drowning them, flooding their lives with blood, death, and despondence.
A deep blue ocean of agony, and she can see just that within Malcolm's eyes.
And it's all Sally's fault. Ben is right, she can't control her need. This family will never accept her, and Malcolm surely hates her now. She can't stay, there's no place for her here. How could she ever think that there would be?
Sally was about to turn around and leave, but then Samantha's gaze met hers and Sally suddenly found herself immobilized.
Samantha's blue eyes, much like Malcolm's and Alexis's, held pain, but still met Sally's with kindness and a very, very sad heart.
How could Samantha look at her with such kindness? Sally caused this, yet Samantha looked at her as if she's actually human, normal. She didn't look at Sally with indifference.
Maybe that's because Samantha doesn't know that this is Sally's fault.
The paramedics took the body of Alexis away in a body bag, and then set her onto the ambulance, where they will take her elsewhere. The police didn't leave though. They have a crime to investigate and questions to ask from the mourning family.
One of the FBI agents made his way to them with a clipboard and pen in hand. He looked at the family with pity and understanding, so he must either be used to it or he's experienced this sadness himself.
"Are either of you ready to answer some questions I'd like to ask?" He asked politely. "I understand if you'd rather wait a few days before the questioning."
Keith looked up at him, as if he had no clue what the agent just said.
However, Samantha sniffed and wiped her cheeks, then nodded. "Y-Yes, of course. I'll answer any question you have."
She released Malcolm and her husband, then stood up. She kept her eyes away from the blood near her.
"When was the last time you saw Alexis?" Was his first question.
"Not very long ago at all. She asked to go outside with her friend, th-then..." Samantha had trouble speaking.
"Friend?" The agent asked, his eyebrows furrowing.
"Ah, yes. A little girl who took refuge here for the night. We, uh, found her in the backyard with a wound on her head. Keith and I thought that maybe she was attacked, and we let her stay here to recover. We were going to take her to the police station today to find her identity and her family."
"What does she look like? And her age? Name?"
"She has curly brown hair and green eyes, and she's almost 8. She never told me her name."
"Her name is Sally," Malcolm whispered.
Samantha and Keith stared at Malcolm, but he only looked at the agent before them.
"She told me her name is Sally," Malcolm repeated, speaking a bit louder this time.
Now the officer's eyebrows furrowed in concern. "Her last name?"
"I don't know," Malcolm admitted, refusing to look at Sally, who still stood in the doorway of the back door.
Sally couldn't watch anymore, so she decided to turn around, then walk away from backyard and around to the front. Malcolm was the only one who saw her leave.
"Where was she when this happened?" The agent asked, quickly writing on his paper.
"She was inside, taking a bath." Malcolm stated quickly. "She had nothing to do with this."
The agent gave Malcolm a look, but he didn't look convinced. He wrote a few more things on the clipboard.
"Your mother just told me that she was outside with your sister."
"She was, but only for a little bit. She came inside to take a bath b-because she was dirty. Alexis was still playing outside."
"Did anyone see Alexis between the time Sally went inside and the time when Alexis's body was found?"
No one answered.
"Have you experienced any other murder in your family?" The man asked now, writing again.
Keith answered this time, shaking his head. "No, we haven't."
Malcolm could no longer see Sally, which made him concerned. But then the first thought that hit him was; why should he care? She killed his sister!
But he can't bring himself to hate her, and there's no way he could let her go away. She needs to face this with him.
He decided to walk away and let his parents talk as he walked around the house. Samantha saw him go, but she didn't stop him. She thought that maybe he needed a few minutes to himself.
Malcolm's eyes darted here to there, searching for a sign that Sally is here, but then he saw a glimpse of pink down the road.
She's running away?
Malcolm blinked when he felt something drip on the top of his head, then another, and soon he was surrounded by pounding rain water.
Malcolm looked up into the light gray sky above him as the rain poured down. He doesn't mind the rain much; in fact, he admires it.
His eyes filled with tears as he thought of his sister, about how she loved to play in the rain, but then he broke away from those thoughts. He refused to think about that. Right now, he wants to go after Sally, and so he did.
Malcolm's tennis shoes slowly padded against the road as he walked. He can see a bit of pink within heavy the rain and mist ahead, so she's still in sight.
Where is she going? Does she even have a home?
Is she a killer?
How come she didn't kill the rest of the family, too, instead of leaving them with a dead family member? How come she didn't kill him?
She's a murderer. He watched Sally stand above a helpless little girl, stabbing her to death with that look on her face, that expression of pure joy. She enjoyed killing Alexis, Malcolm saw it in her eyes.
How come she was so shocked when she looked up to see him? Why didn't she try to kill Malcolm, too?
So many questions and not enough answers ran within Malcolm's head, there's so many images and sounds spinning around and around like a storm, like the storm above him.
Malcolm was undetected by Sally as he tried to catch up with her, but then she made a turn, now walking towards...a playground?
Sally's head is like a dam about to collapse and let out everything it's holding back. Sally's hands are clenched so tightly her arms are trembling from the pressure, and she stumbled towards the playground.
Once she made it there, she stopped and stood in the center of it. She's deep in thought, so when Malcolm walked towards her, she had no clue. His footsteps are drowned out by the pouring rain around them, and they're both already almost completely soaked.
Malcolm opened his mouth to speak, but his voice wouldn't cooperate. He swallowed hard, and then tried again. "Sally."
Sally jumped and turned around. She gasped when she saw Malcolm and stumbled back, away from him.
"W-Wait!" He called, walking towards her. She resisted stumbling back again and stood her ground as he tentatively walked closer.
Sally didn't want to look into his eyes, she doesn't want to see the pain she caused in him. She doesn't want to look up and see him looking at her with indifference and hatred...
"Stay away from me," she whispered, but she isn't sure if he heard.
"You...You need...to come back." Malcolm said with a shaky voice, reaching out a trembling hand.
Sally noticed his hesitation and his trembling hands, then she finally looked up at him. Their gazes met and she saw the fear in his eyes.
"Are...you afraid of me?" Sally whispered, but Malcolm heard her clearly.
He didn't say anything, but his eyes averted as he shook his head. He's obviously lying, she knew that.
Sally shouldn't be surprised, she killed someone right before his eyes.
Wait, then why is he here? After what Sally did to his sister, why did he come after her, and tell her to come back?
Does he want her to admit to the police that she committed the murder? If not, then why, exactly, did Malcolm follow her?
"Why did you come after me?" She asked.