Chapter 8 - A Bloody Memory

Sally set foot out into the cool night air, closing the door behind her softly. The moonlight made it easier to see, but because to the shadows of the trees, it was still difficult to walk around.

Sally can hear faint noises coming from the trees, so Sally slowly began walking through them, searching for the source of those sounds. She tripped and stumbled over the uneven ground and tree roots, but managed to keep her balance as she looked around. Her knife was, as always, tight in her grip, ready for Sally to use when needed.

The sounds became louder, clearer, as Sally got closer. She could make out the sounds as the of snapping tree branches, thuds, and cries of fury. Sally could now see movement within the trees not too far ahead of her, so she got closer.

It was Jane, and she was pissed. Extremely furious. She was pacing, or was trying to. She could hardly stand with the wound in her leg and it only seemed to infuriate her more. She cried out loudly in rage and stabbed the nearest tree multiple times, then left the knife embedded in the wood. She panted, tried to walk again, but then stumbled and fell to her knees. She growled and struggled to stand, wobbling as she did so.

"Dammit dammit dammit!" She screamed into the night air, her voice echoing through the trees. "Why can't I kill him? Why can't I hurt him more than I did?" Her voice was now thick with emotion as she ranted to herself. "He needs to pay for what he's done! He deserves to die! He needs to die!"

Jane yanked the knife from the tree and stared down at it, watching as the slighting bloodied blade reflected the moonlight. Blood from Jeff.

"I'm..." She whispered, tears filling her eyes. "I'm just like him. I must be going crazy. This isn't me!"

She squeezed her eyes shut and began to shake her head, as if in denial. Sally took another step forward, but it caused a few twigs below her feet to crack under the pressure, gaining Jane's attention.

"Who's there!?" She demanded, swirling to face the direction Sally stood, her hand trembling as it clenched raised her knife in defense. Jane immediately saw Sally and recognized her. "Oh...it's you," she said, now becoming more emotionless than furious. "What are you doing here?"

Sally didn't respond, she just put her hands behind her back and stared at Jane, as if asking her questions through her eyes.

"It's not safe here, little girl. It's not safe at that madman's house either," she muttered the last part through her teeth. "Go run to the police station."

Sally didn't do anything. She just watched Jane with those green eyes.

"What do you want, huh!?" Jane shouted, becoming angry once more. Sally took another step forward and into a beam of moonlight, trying to get a closer look at the woman before her.

And with that light, Jane could see the wound on Sally's head that she didn't notice before; she didn't pay attention to Sally's appearance, for she was too infatuated on killing Jeff. Jane saw the blood dripping down the small girl's legs, and how she wobbled when she stepped forward. Jane widened her eyes in realization, then her shock immediately converted into more burning rage.

"Did that bastard hurt you!?" She nearly shrieked furiously. However, her shout didn't affect or scare Sally. Jane couldn't believe it. She knew Jeff was despicable and immoral, but this...this was far too depraved.

But Sally shook her head, answering Jane's question. Jeff never hurt her, although he tried to once before. Jane's anger still didn't cease and she just growled, turning to walk away, but she gasped in pain and stumbled into a tree, using it to support her. Sally followed her and Jane noticed that, then glared at her over her shoulder.

"What are you doing?" She asked through her teeth, still seething as she tried to get back onto her feet, but the pain hammered her down and blood gushed down her leg, staining the black skirt and boots.