Chapter 25 - Unforgiving Memories

Sally looked around herself, trying to figure out where the rhythmic sound is coming from.
"Hello, little girl."
Sally quickly turned to the direction of the familiar voice. It isn't Clockwork as she had first thought, this voice is more mature, smoother. Within the shadows, she can see a woman, dressed in all black, standing not too far from her. It was hard to see her at first, but Sally knew she's there.
It's Jane, her black lips tilted into a smirk and her black eyes glared into Sally's gaze.
She's holding a watch in her hand, and it reflected off the remaining light of the sunset brilliantly. The watch must be encrusted with jewels, and it ticked loudly.
Sally also noticed that Jane holds a knife, a bloodied one at that. Sally furrowed her eyebrows. Has Jane killed? She thought that Jane hated killers.
"It's a lovely night, isn't it?" Jane asked smoothly, casually making her way to the small girl.
Sally tensed up and tightened her grasp on her knife, ready to defend herself. "Why are you here?"
"Well, I saw you and Jeff running over here, so I thought I'd say hello." Jane said, but her tone had an icy edge to it, and she practically spat Jeff's name.
Sally noticed the hatred in Jane's eyes and her determination for Jeff's blood.
"You...really hate him, don't you?" Sally asked softly.
"Of course I do! He killed my family, he ruined my life!" Jane practically snarled. "Wouldn't you do the same if someone did that to you?"
Sally immediately remembered her uncle and her eyes swirled with her own fury.
"I already did," Sally said in a hard tone.
Jane stared at her for a moment. "You've killed someone who ruined your life?"
Sally nodded, but she wasn't sure how much to tell this person, this woman who, last time she's seen, called her sick.
This time, Jane didn't say anything about Sally being 'sick'. Instead, Jane looked down at her own knife that's encrusted with blood.
"I can't control it," Jane spoke up. "This...This anger, this need. It keeps getting stronger, it won't stop."
Sally knew exactly what Jane is talking about, she understood well. It all leads to one word.
Bloodlust.
Jane gritted her teeth. "It's all that bastard's fault. I need to kill him, if I kill him, this need will go away. I'll have my revenge, and then I'll live on normally, but right now..." She clenched her hand around the knife so tightly it began trembling. "I just need to get rid of him."
Sally shook her head. No, Jane doesn't understand. That's not how this works. That's not how it ever works. "No, even if you kill him, the feeling won't go away. You'll have your justice, but...you'll never be satisfied. The need will only get stronger. You'll keep killing."
"No! I won't let it happen!" Jane proclaimed with a desperate edge in her tone, shaking her head.
"But it's already too late," Sally said softly, pointing at Jane's bloody knife.
Jane shook her head more frantically, opening her mouth to protest, but nothing came.
Jane swallowed hard, and soon rage took over her once again. She growled and turned, running towards Jeff's house.
She's going to attempt to kill him again.
Sally's eyes widened once she realized that Jeff may not be able to fight back as easily as last time. He's injured, he'll be weaker.
"Don't even think about stopping her."
Sally blinked and turned her head to see Toby step out from behind a tree, then emerge from the woods.
"Jeff can handle it himself. If Jane wants to kill him that bad, she's just going to be disappointed. Again," he told her in a dead tone, walking towards Sally.
Sally looked over and watched as Jane made her way closer and closer to Jeff's house.
"And you probably don't want to interfere either. Neither of them like to be bothered when trying to kill each other," Toby added with a small chuckle. "They don't like the help."
Then where should Sally go? Should she visit her house again? Are Maria and Liu still there? It's probably not a good idea for them to see her again. Sally swallowed hard at the thought of never seeing her mother again. It's bad enough that her father has died, but to lose her mother, too? She couldn't bear it.
Then she remembered something. What about that Alex guy that Ben had mentioned? Or was Ben lying?
"So, I hear you're immortal."
Sally looked up at Toby, watching as he knelt down onto one knee to meet her height. His yellow-lensed goggles covered his eyes, so all Sally can see is her own reflection.
Sally hesitated, then nodded.
"It sucks, doesn't it?" Ticci-Toby asked, and Sally nodded again.
"I don't want to be immortal," she whispered.
Toby was silent for a moment, and Sally knew he's in deep thought, but she can't tell what it's about since she can't see his eyes. It's hard to see his expression since there's a black cloth, maybe a bandana, over his mouth, too. His face and eyes are hidden, therefore his emotions are kept secret.
One of his shoulders jerked and his hand twitched, almost dropping his hatchet, but he kept a firm grip on it. Sally watched in confusion, but she never asked about it.
As silence passed, but then Toby spoke up again.
"Over a year ago...my sister died in a car accident," he started out in a whisper. Sally isn't sure why he's telling her this, but she didn't stop him. She faced him and listened as he told his story.
"For a long time, I just thought...why was she the one to die? She never deserved it. Why couldn't I be the one who died in that accident instead of her?" He sat down on the ground, staring at the grass before him. Sally sat down also, watching as his hands moved and twitched from his growing anger as he relived his memories.
"My dad...that bastard of a father. He wasn't there for her when she died. He didn't go to the hospital, it was almost like he didn't care. I'm sure he really didn't. I became...so angry." He shook his head, now looking down at his gloved hands. "Mom...she was so kind, but I never understood how she could deal with a man like him. I still don't understand it. And I don't know why I ever thought I had loved him as a father." Toby paused for a moment. "I don't regret killing him. He deserved it. He wasn't there. He didn't care."
His hands clenched. "That feeling of killing him...it was amazing. Thrilling. Seeing that fear in his eyes, hearing him scream in pain, I wanted more. I wanted more, and I became addicted. I became a monster."
Sally watched as he lifted his hands to his head, then he removed the cloth and the goggles, so now she can see his expression.
His brown eyes are darkened, stirring with bloodlust and anger, and the edges of his mouth are tilted into a wicked grin as he remembered.
"He was the first one I've ever killed, and that was when my mom walked in. Her eyes...how she looked at me..." His grin drooped and his face fell into a more emotionless expression. "It was like she didn't know me, it was that look that said 'you are no son of mine'. I had to get out of there, and I did. I grabbed the hatchets, I grabbed the gasoline and the match...the police were after me, so I burned down the woods to hide my tracks...only to find myself trapped, caught in a circle of flames."
Toby looked at Sally, his gaze meeting hers. "That's when I died."
Her eyes widened once she understood.
"You're immortal, too." She whispered.
He nodded. "I'm a Proxy."
Sally's eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. "Proxy? What's that?"
"A Proxy is someone who...represents something," he explained. He opened his mouth to say more, but then he hesitated. It took a moment before he decided to speak up again. "It's hard for me to explain it, especially to someone who won't be able to understand it. But it has something to do with him. Before I died, I saw him. Slender Man. You know him, right?"
Sally nodded. "Y-Yes, I know him. He helped me. He helped me when...I killed my uncle." She hesitated when she told him that. Well, he told her about him, so she'll return the favor with a little about her.
"That's right. Hoodie and Masky told me about that." Toby looks away. "Curious. How...was it like for you? Killing the one who killed you?"
Sally's shoulders drooped slightly as she looked at the ground before her. Her green eyes swirled with the memory of killing Johnny, and a spear of anger shot though her, but the fire was immediately washed over by despair and pain as she immediately remembered her father, hanging lifelessly by a rope around his neck.
She closed her eyes, pushing the thoughts of her father away for now. "It was fun at first. Hurting him, seeing his blood...watching him die. It was fun...but once it was over, I...didn't know what to do. And I felt like I was crazy. A freak."
Then she opened her eyes and met Toby's gaze. "Did...you feel satisfied when you killed your daddy?"
He was silent for a moment before answering. "No. I wasn't. I just...felt empty. I felt nothing."
She nodded as she looked downwards. "That's how I felt. I...did what I wanted to do, but now what? I have forever, I have all of the time in the world...but now that I had my revenge, and did what I wanted to do...what am I supposed to do now? I feel like I've...lost my purpose."
She looked up at Toby again, now her voice is shaking slightly. "And this need...it won't go away, and the only way I can control it is if I kill. A part of me doesn't want to do it, but the other does, and it makes me feel sick, and happy at the same time. I don't get it, and I don't know what to do."
Toby stared into her gaze for another moment. "You seem to understand a lot for someone your age. How old are you, exactly?"
"I'm..." Sally tried to remember. What month is it?
"What month is it?" She asked her thought aloud.
"It's July," he answered. "July the 10th."
She blinked. She's really been dead for that long?
"My...eighth birthday is in a few days," she whispered.
"You're only seven? Damn." Then he stutters as he fixes his curse. "Uh, I mean, dang. That sucks that you died at such a young age. Kinda sad you can't get older anymore, isn't it? I'm supposed to be 18 now, but I'm stuck at 17."
Sally stared at him, her gut twisting at the thought. "I...can't get older?"
"That's a part of being immortal. Not only will you never die, but you can't age, either. You can live for thousands of years and still be the age you were when you died."
Sally felt horrified. She already knew that she couldn't die, but she really can't get older? She'll be seven years old forever?
"Don't you dare run away, you son of a bitch!"
Both of their heads snapped towards where they can hear Jane's shout to see Jeff running into the woods with the furious woman chasing him.
Toby sighed and shook his head, now standing up. "There they go again."
He held out a hand to Sally for her to grab, and she complied. He helped her stand and then they both looked back over to see Jane and Jeff shouting at each other, fighting for each other's blood.
"Why don't you fucking die already!?" Jane screamed in fury, swinging her knife multiple times at Jeff, but Jeff's too fast, despite his injury.
"You should know by now that I'm not easy to kill," Jeff countered with a growl, swiping his blade at Jane's arm, but she managed to dodge.
"I think it's safe to enter Jeff's place now that they're outside," Toby told Sally in a nonchalant manner, seeming to completely disregard the battle. He released her hand and began walking.
Sally nodded and watched the two fight as she and Toby headed towards Jeff's vacant house.
Jeff and Jane fought against each other with a grace that feels both beautiful and deadly. The violence, the hatred, the bloodlust, the madness. It was absolutely delicious to see all of those emotions swirling in perfect and raging harmony within those eyes as they danced with a rage that can burn the whole world.
Ticci-Toby and Sally soon entered the house, closing the back door behind them. Of course, Sally is slightly concerned as to how the battle between Jeff and Jane will end this time, but she mentally told herself not to worry. There's nothing she can do about it, anyway.
It's dead silent in the house; no soul inhabited it at this moment. Toby's voice shattered that silence within a second.
"I'm going to look for Hoodie and Masky. It was nice talking with you, Sally." He said in farewell, and he turned to leave.
Sally watched him as he left. She felt like she should say something, but what? A goodbye doesn't seem to fit, but neither does anything else, so then she just kept quiet. Toby opened the back door to step out, but then he paused.
He turned a bit to meet gazes with her, and then he spoke.
"I think...I think that you'll find something. You'll find something worth living an eternity for."
And with that, he walked out, closing the door behind him.
Sally stood in silence, staring at that door as she thought about what he just told her.
Is what Toby said true? Will she really find something that's worth living forever for?
Sally looked down, and then she walked into the living room. Again, it is very, very silent in this house tonight.
There must be no one else here, then.
The only thing heard was Sally's soft footsteps on the wooden floor.
She can hear her own quiet breathing, and she would be able to hear her own heartbeat if she had one.
She paused once that realization hit her. Sally has no heartbeat.
It shouldn't feel so shocking to her. She knows she's dead, but she's alive enough to be conscious of her lack of heartbeat.
Sally feels so empty without it. Without that feel of the pounding in her chest, without that blood rushing through her lifeless form, it makes her feel so different. So dead.
She sat on the couch, and now all she knows is the complete, utter silence. She breathed softly, trying not to disturb this peace.
Sally was about to allow her mind to drift into that familiar oblivion until she felt something. It's that feeling that you know someone is there, that feeling of a nearby presence.
Just as Sally was about to look around for the source, a voice spoke up.
"My mother drowned me."
Sally blinked and she saw Ben step into her sight, his arms crossed and his gaze meeting hers as he stood before her.
She blinked in surprise. She was about to say something, but then she stopped herself and listened.
"She told me I'm a freak, a murdering piece of shit. She told me that I didn't deserve anything, that I didn't deserve the love they had for me. That I didn't deserve to live," his tone is cold and his expression was emotionless, his gaze averting to the floor. "She wasn't one who could control their anger. Hell, I'm not either. She would've hit me and shit, but this time she went all the way. We had a pond in the backyard. I bet you can guess what happened next."
Sally felt shocked, but Ben isn't finished.
"You wanna know why she went crazy on me?" He asked, now sitting on the couch next to Sally, leaning back and putting his hands behind his head. He didn't give her time to respond. "I killed my best friend."
Sally bit her lip to keep herself from asking. She'll get her answers soon enough.
"His name is Link. Funny, right? His dad was completely obsessed with Legend of Zelda. He wanted kids, and if he had a daughter, he'd name her Zelda, if a son, it was Link. They ended up having a son. Link and I were friends since we were kids, and like Link's dad, we were obsessed with Legend of Zelda."
Ben chuckled. "It's weird how obsessions can drive you mad. I had every game, every game, except one. Just one...that was Majora's Mask. I wanted that game so fucking bad. But then Link called me one day, telling me he got the game, and so we'd hang out more often so I could get to play it. He let me play it, of course. We'd laugh at our failures, tried to beat it, and just had a good time. But then he started telling me no. He wouldn't let me play it. Of course I was pissed. It got to the point where I'd cuss him out, start fights with him, all over a stupid game."
Ben laughed a bit, but it seemed forced. "Then I went completely mad. I just had to play that game. I wanted to finish it, but I can't if I can't play it. I called him, and I apologized. I made excuses, telling him I got my anger issues from my mom. He accepted my apology, and I told him he should come over to my house for a visit, you know, to make up for our fights. He came over, and as always, he brought Majora's Mask. The moment he came into my room..." Ben's lips spread into a dark and sadistic smile. "I had a knife from the kitchen, and so I killed him."
There was a pause, then Ben added, "He fought back, though. Almost clawed out my eyes." He pointed towards his face, to his eyeless sockets. "It didn't hurt much, and I could somehow still see fine."
It was silent for a moment, and so Sally used that time to speak up.
"Do you regret killing him?"
Ben looked at her and snorted. "If I knew I'd regret it, I wouldn't have fucking killed him in the first place. I didn't care, Majora's Mask was mine. I didn't give a damn about anything else. So that's when Mom walked in to see my dead friend and there I was, just sitting there, playing Majora's Mask. She completely freaked out. I can't exactly blame her, there was a dead kid in my room and his blood was literally on my hands. But I do blame her for drowning me. She was batshit crazy, but she should've had enough control not to kill her own fucking son." Ben huffed, shaking his head. "I knew I was dead, but..."
He moved his hands from behind his head and looked down at them. "It's strange. I've been dead for years and I still haven't got my head wrapped around it. When I "woke up", all I wanted to do was keep playing Majora's Mask. I had to finish it." 
Then he hesitated, as if he were deciding how much he should say. "And so, I went to my room and grabbed my controller, but the moment I touched it, I was sucked into it. I've learned to control that ability now, but back then, I had no power against it. I was in the game. No, I was the game. I had complete control over it. But of course, sooner or later, the disk was removed, and I was trapped in it. It was like I was turned off, there was just...nothing. Absolutely fucking nothing. At least that was until some stupid bastard bought the disk."
Ben smirked. "It was fun to fuck with his head. And when he put the disk in the computer...man, what an idiot!" Ben laughed aloud. "I was finally free. At that point, I didn't give a shit about that game, I just wanted to get away from that disk. But it was nearly impossible to get myself out into the physical world, because I no longer had a body. It was just gone. So I came up with a form for myself that I could bring out into the world. It didn't take long for me to come up with this." 
He gestured his hands to himself. Then he shrugged, as if it didn't matter. "Once I was out, I was confused. Things have...changed."
Ben paused, looking down. After a moment, he spoke up again. "I decided to go everywhere, scare the shit outta people and sooner or later kill them. I had a hell of a time, especially when my targets are playing Majora's Mask. It's easier to manipulate. But I always make sure to leave before they remove the disk. Learn from my mistakes, right?" Ben snickered. "Soon enough, I met the others, and I stuck around."
He sighed, looking down as his smirk faded. Silence filled the room once more, and Sally let his story run through her mind like a movie, and of course, she had questions. She knows that there's something he's not telling her, she can see it in the way he fidgets. And how does he control technology like that? When did he find out he had that ability? And why is he telling her his story now when earlier he didn't want to talk about it?
Ben made a half-laugh which made Sally look over at him in confusion.
"You're the only one I've told to about this." He shook his head with a grunt, but then he glared at her and spoke in a hard tone. "Don't tell anyone about this. You'll really regret it."
Sally nodded. "I won't tell anyone."
He stared at her for a moment, and then he nodded, too.
"Alright."