Chapter 11: Beach Party

Ava:

I hear a knock on the door while Oliver’s still in the shower. I opened the door to see Hanna standing there. Nervous and anxious.

“Hey Han. Why aren’t you with Todd?”

“I wanna talk to you.” She said as she pushed her hands deep into her pockets.

I opened the door wider. “Okay, come in.”

“Can we talk out here?”  Her shoulders hunched up as if the nerves were getting to her.

I stepped out and closed the door behind me, “sure.”

I know what this is about.

I held up my hand to stop her from talking.

“If this is about Todd, we already talked. I’m not freaked out. Just don’t--”

“This is not about my relationship with Todd.” She said absent-mindedly.

I shook my head, confused.

“Then what is this about?”

She heaved a long sigh before finally talking.

“Av, I’ve been observing you these past few days. I have never seen you like this since--” she started off slowly only to be interrupted by myself.

Oh. We’re not talking about that right now.

“Stop Hanna. I don’t want to talk about this.”

I turned to open the door but she caught my arm.

“It’s been three years Ava. It’s time to let go.”

I felt hot tears well up in my eyes. The door knob is becoming a brown blur and my hands went limp.

“What, am I supposed to let go and give in? I’m supposed to just forget about everything?!”

I turned to see what she could possibly reply to that.

Hanna was shaking her head and placed her palm on her forehead. This conversation is taking as much toll on her as it is on me.

“No, Ava. Not forget. I know you loved him. You don’t need to forget. Just move on.”

“We were engaged Hanna. And then he died! Because of a careless drunk driver!”

I was hissing through my teeth so other people won’t hear.

Especially Oliver.