Chapter 34: Bedside Manners

Author's note:

I know it's been a long time since I updated. AND I FEEL AWFUL. :((

Especially after I left you guys with "Cardiac arrest". I'm so sorry. I just couldn't decide how to go about it, the whole Todd in a coma and will he die or will he live happily ever after with Hanna?

But as you can see, I have decided which one of those scenarios will take place in this chapter and I hope you guys like how things are going for these characters. 

ENJOY!!! 

OLIVER

The air in my car is thick with tension and anxiety. Ava’s fussing with her hair and keeps fidgeting in her seat.

Her parents are following closely behind us on the way to the hospital.

Hanna called, frantic, telling Ava that Todd’s gone into cardiac arrest. Four of us jumped into our cars and drove off without so much as a word to each other after Ava muttered cardiac arrest as she walked into the living room.

Once we pulled up to the hospital, Ava jumps out and storms in with Bandit at her heels. I followed her soon after I was able to find a place to park.

“What did they say?” I said, breathless from sprinting to Todd’s floor.

Ava’s mother is in tears while Hanna and Ava are both catatonic, sitting on the chairs set aside for visitors.

Carter looks up from his hands and turned to me, “They’re not giving us any details. He’s still in the OR.”

I sit beside Ava, not really knowing what to say or do.

“I don’t want him to die, Olly.” Ava mutters and Hanna just blinks.

“Don’t say that, it’s not over yet.” I said as I pull her close. “He won’t leave you. He can’t.”

I kissed the top of her head and she remained still. Everyone’s on the edge of their seats now, waiting on Todd to either wake or remain asleep. My thoughts were interrupted by the sudden vibration in my pocket. I fished out my phone to find that my assistant has been calling me non-stop.

“Katya, I’m busy at the moment.”

“I’m aware of that Mr. Royce. I just wanted to let you know that I have good news and bad news. Which one do I go with first?”

“The good one, I guess.”

“The board gave the green light for two more branches in Europe.”

She paused, waiting for me to process the information.

“Hit me with the bad, Katya. Don’t hold back. It’s not like I’m in the hospital or anything.”

“Sorry Mr. Royce. It has to be done… Robb Madden and Camilla Bradford plead insanity. There’s a chance they might not be incarcerated. With Mr. Baron still in the hospital, he can’t testify about the deal Mr. Madden tried to make with him and how it went.”

Glorious news.