Chapter 23: Nasty Can of Worms and More

OLIVER

The horror and anger in Ava’s face said it all: she knows.

What exactly it is they told her, I’m not sure, and it worries me even more.

Robb and Camilla slipped out just before I had the opportunity to call them out and make them explain the whole thing, but right now, they are the least of my problems.

I was about to approach her when she broke into a hard strut towards me, her heels clicking wildly on the floor.

“What is the meaning of this?!” She waved pictures and papers in front of my face and I was out of words to say.

I tried to calm her down by holding her shoulders but she pushed my hands away.

“Ava, wait, let me explain.Whatever it is they told you, it’s not the whole story. I promise you, I did what I had to do.”

She shook her head, the look of disgust and anger in her face was tearing my heart into pieces.

“Really?! You HAD to drive drunk and kill both Casey AND Nathan?! That’s what you have to say for yourself?! That you HAD to do it?!” Her voice echoed around the quiet hall, emphasizing every word, magnifying her emotions and making the moment even more painful.

I was dumbfounded. What does she mean killing Casey and Nathan? I didn’t even know he died up until thirty minutes ago.

“What are you talking about, Ava? Casey was the one killed in this accident.” I pointed at the photo she was holding. I was trying to keep my voice even because I didn’t want to have a screaming match with Ava.

Her hands flew up to her hair, expressing her frustration and exasperation towards me.

“Oh my god. You don’t even know…”

She turned around and looked up at the ceiling. Taking a deep breath, she faced me once again and threw the photos and papers at me.

“YOU ASSHOLE! LOOK AT THOSE PICTURES, OLIVER! LOOK AT THEM.”

I did what she demanded and picked up the photos and papers that were now scattered on the floor.

The pictures were not something I haven’t seen before. Photos of Casey in the passenger seat and my car, an unrecognizable wreck. The next photo was of the car that was assumably hit by my car and it was also in terrible shape. Inside the car was a man, bloody and unconscious.

“Wait, this is…” My voice trailed off and Ava finished my sentence.

After the photo was a police report which contained details of the accident and aside from Casey’s name among the casualties was another name that I recognized.

“NATHAN. That is Nathan, Oliver. You killed him, you took him away from me!”

Her words were dripping with venom and she couldn’t have been any more angry at the moment. I could feel her hatred towards me through her words.