Chapter 35: Done Wasting Time

Author's note:

So, here it is. I know it's short but yay for double update!
I will try to update again today but I won't promise anything yet. But I am writing the final chapter and the epilogue so stay tuned for that.

So sorry for making you guys wait!!!

AVA

Todd is awake. Things are finally going back to the way they were.

Hanna and I are sitting on opposite sides of Todd’s bed while my parents sat on the couch, watching the three of us.

“Anything interesting happen while I was out?” Todd asks. It was as though he was never really gone with the way he was acting.

“Nothing. You were the main event.” I replied.

“Nice!” He cries out. He holds out his hand to pat Bandit’s head. Even this dog missed my brother.

“It wasn’t fun, Todd.” Hanna drawls out.

“I know, monkey. But I’m here now and you don’t have to stay in this god-awful hospital anymore.”

She smiles weakly as he squeezed her hand.

The doctor walks in and tells us that we would have to leave soon so Todd could rest.

“We’re just waiting for someone.” Todd interjects before she evicts us from his room.

He may be weak and have just gotten back from the dead, but he flashed that signature Todd Baron smile and the doctor was a goner. She would have let all of us stay the night if he asked.

A few minutes later, Oliver walks in with a huge grin plastered on his face.

He shook his head as he made his way over to Todd’s bed. “You sly, little bastard.” Oliver says with a snigger.

Todd shrugs and takes whatever it was that Oliver was holding in his hands and turns to Hanna.

Oliver gently pulled me off the bed and into his side.

“I know this is not the perfect setting for this, Hanna. But, I figured with everything that’s just happened, I should get to it before I get shot again. So,”

He opened his hand to reveal a small velvet box and popped it open. A gorgeous (and huge) round diamond was nestled in between two smaller diamonds held in a platinum band.

Todd took Hanna’s hand and she looked like her mind was going a thousand miles per minute.

“Hanna Crest, will you marry me?”

My hand flew over to my mouth to contain the surge of happy sobs that were pushing itself out of me.

Hanna could only nod as tears fled her eyes and stained her cheeks. Todd’s smile threatened to tear his face apart as he slipped the ring onto her finger.

“Oh my god…” she breathes, lunging onto Todd and embracing him with all the energy she had left.

“I love you,” Hanna whispers.

“And I love you,” Todd mutters, his eyes glassy.

The doctor comes back with the final warning and we slowly exit the room, leaving Todd to rest.

I gave my brother one more hug before turning to leave.

“I’m so glad you’re okay.”

“Me too, sis. I missed you, too.” He kisses my hair before turning to Oliver. “Take care of her, Olly. I wouldn’t hold back the next time she comes crying to me because of you.”

“You got it,” Oliver pats Todd’s shoulder and we left him with Hanna for a few more minutes.

“Looks like both my kids are about to get married,” My father says as I close the door behind me.

“Sure does,” I said, pushing my hands into my pockets.

“Well, I’m very pleased with both of your choices. Aren’t we, Elizabeth?” He turns to my mom who just nods.

“Welcome to the family, Oliver. And tell Hanna we all have to have dinner soon. The six of us, once Todd is well.”

I embraced my father before he and my mother left. Oliver and I waited for Hanna as we offered to drive her home so she can finally get some well-deserved rest.

She followed after a while and the old Hanna’s back. “We’re going to be sisters!” She squeals.

“Han, we’ve been sisters way before he proposed to you.”

“True.” She giggles as we make our way to Oliver’s car. Hanna shared the backseat with Bandit and she could not keep still. Her recent engagement brought back the life in her eyes.

“Now, I have to ask you,” Hanna taps my shoulder as we drive through the streets of New York.

“Will you be my maid of honor?” She says with a huge grin.

“If you chose someone else, I would make my brother take that ring back.”

The whole car exploded with laughter and it felt like we’ve finally made it out of the woods.

We dropped Hanna off at her building before heading back to my place. It’s been a long, and stressful day. Nothing meant more to me than a long nap and maybe some tea.

“So, what do you have in mind for the rest of the day?” Oliver asks as he spun me around in the living room.

“A nice long nap and tea.”

His eyes twinkled as he smiled down on me. “Afternoon tea coming right up!”

I jogged happily into my room and found Bandit already snoring at the foot of my bed.