Chapter 22: Black Ties and Not-So-White Lies

OLIVER

I clutched the ivory embossed invite that Ava had given to me personally the day after she brought Bandit home. It’s been a month and a half and she’s impressed me by being able to toilet train him and he’s even become so attached to her that he doesn’t need a leash to stay by her side, he just walks beside Ava everywhere.

I have a feeling Bandit’s going to be attending the gala too.

I stepped in front of my mirror to fix my bowtie before grabbing my car keys from the silver box I keep them in. My phone lit up and I saw that Ava had texted me just a couple minutes ago.

Almost ready. See you soon!

Ava

I arrived at Ava's a little before 7pm. As usual, I took the elevator and when I got to her apartment, she wasn't ready yet.

I was greeted by a cheerful, and somewhat bigger Bandit who had a black bowtie around his neck.

"Hey! Don't you look dashing?" I patted his head and he immediately got on his back, asking for a tummy rub.

Clearly, this dog is spoiled rotten.

I gave in to Bandit's request and started rubbing his exposed stomach. As I scan Ava's apartment, I noticed the addition of a black leather chair beside her window. A navy blue blanket was hanging on its back rest and upon closer inspection, there were black and white coarse hairs all over it.

"Ava got you your own chair? I don't even have a toothbrush here!"

I feigned a look of disgust at the puppy who was still waiting for me to continue the belly rub.

"Nope. You have your own chair! You deserve to suffer." I said dramatically, then I heard heels clicking behind me.

"You can leave a toothbrush here. And some clothes too. No need to torture the poor dog."

I turned around to see Ava fixing her earrings in place. She looked breathtaking in her shimmering black, body hugging long-sleeved gown with its neckline going all the way up to the base of her neck. The dress was all business and conservative, I thought, but then, She turned around to retrieve her matching clutch bag from the counter.

Her hair was fixed in a low messy bun with tendrils hanging loose on the sides of her face. My eyes drifted to her bare back and saw how the dress was cut very low; the fabric, only to be visible once my eyes traveled to the small of her back.

This dress is going to be in pieces by the end of the night, I thought.

"You're awfully quiet for a man who's just been ranting about toothbrushes." She chuckled, breaking my train of thought.

I sauntered towards her and laid my hands on her waist.

"That's because I'm preoccupied with the secrets this dress is concealing from me." I pulled her close to me, breathing the words down her neck before kissing it.