Chapter 19: Someone's Watching Me

AVA

Our bags were being brought down the stairs and into Oliver’s car in the driveway.

“Ava, darling!” Oliver’s mother comes running towards me, waving a pink box in her hand.

“I want to give this to you.” She hands me the box when she reached me.

“Open it when you’re back in the city, okay?”

I nodded and hugged her. Despite the brief period of time we spent together, I’ve actually become quite attached to them. I hardly remember them when Oliver and I were younger because they were rarely around. I had no idea that his mother would be so warm and his father would not be so awful. His little cousins were a pleasant surprise as well.

“Ava!” Faye bumped into me and wrapped her arms around my legs.

“Do you promise to visit?”

I bent down and gently removed her arms from around my legs and smiled. “Only if you promise to be here when I do.”

She shrieked and started jumping up and down.

Her two brothers walked up to me with Oliver.

“We really like you. Even Charlie likes you.” Martin was playing with the edge of his shirt, avoiding my eyes.

“It would be nice if---if you and Olly came by to visit more often.”

I don’t know why he’s nervous now. He’s been comfortable with me from the very beginning.

“Of course I will.” A huge smile took over his face and they both wrapped their arms around my neck.

“Faye! Martin! Charlie! Time to go! Get inside the car!” James called his children to his open vehicle.

“Ava, it was so wonderful to meet you. We have no doubt that you and Oliver will be very happy together.”

“That’s very sweet Marcy. I’m so glad we met and your children are such angels.”

She scoffed. “Wait ‘til you have your own. They won’t be such angels when they’re yours.”

I couldn’t help but chuckle at the thought of me having children.

I waved goodbye to the couple and watched them drive off. Their children were waving frantically at me and Oliver even when they were far down the driveway.

“How was your weekend, Ms. Baron?” Oliver playfully nudged me as we walked back to the house to say goodbye to his parents.

“Delightful My boyfriend had a lot to do with it. He put in so much effort to make me forget all the stresses of my work.”

He nodded and I saw him bite his lower lip to keep from smiling. Someone’s pleased with himself.

“Nice necklace.”

My hand immediately went up to my neck and touched the small heart pendant.

“He’s a romantic. I didn’t even know that he was until this came along.”

He chuckled. Oliver pulled me close and whispered in my ear.

“I’m so glad you had fun.”

“I did, Olly. Thank you.” I tiptoed to give him a quick kiss.

“Thank you for visiting us, Ava. And remember, I will be setting up an appointment with you soon.”

Oliver’s father was standing on their porch with his hands in his pockets.