Chapter 16: Back to Reality

OLIVER

The bellboy knocked on our door and I got up quickly to let him in. He gathered our belongings and brought them to the golf cart waiting right at the end of the pathway.

After checking for anything that we may have left behind, I closed the door behind us and we started to follow the bellboy.

“Baron!” We heard a loud voice calling out from one of the cabins.

We turned to see Meredith jogging towards us, her hair tied up in a high ponytail.

She caught up with us and started to talk.

“Nice work this weekend, Baron. Didn’t think you had it in you.”

Ava let go of my arm and stepped forward. Here’s hoping she doesn’t start slapping Meredith.

“I have you to thank for that.” She said simply.

Meredith chuckled. “Yeah, I guess so. I know I made your life hell, Ava. But, just keep in mind, even if I was the evil bitch that tortured you, there are some things that aren’t always what they seem.”

I swallowed hard at that statement and Meredith turned her eyes to me. I know exactly what she meant and it seems like she’s aware too.

I avoided her stare and looked out onto the beach.

Ava looked dumbfounded. She didn’t know what to make of that statement.

I’m hoping she doesn’t piece everything together.

At least, not yet.

Meredith broke the silence that was slowly building tension as time passed.

“Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the reunion. See you in ten years king and queen.”

She strutted back to her cabin where Christopher was waiting for her.

Ava turned to me, still confused. “That was odd.”

I simply nodded in agreement, thinking that saying anything would give too much away.

~**~

“We’re here to check out.” I said to the receptionist behind the counter.

She immediately got to our papers and started to hand me several receipts to sign. I suppose it comes with having the black credit card.

I saw Ava’s face scrunch up in disgust. She obviously doesn’t like to use this credit card often. Maybe their father insisted that they get one.

After everything was paid for, we headed back to the entrance where there were still tire marks on the pavement. The Aventador was at fault, obviously. She giggled at the sight of the screech marks on the cement and I smiled at her amusement. A couple of her classmates passed by including Jacob and Cameron. We waved goodbye before getting into the car and driving off.

I held her hand on the drive back. It wasn’t surprising that we never ran out of things to talk about even if some topics ended in an argument. Argument or no argument, she never let go of my hand and I didn’t want her to. She tired out and drifted off to sleep.

I watched her peaceful expression while she slept.

I couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed with happiness to have her this close to me. Not to mention the surprising turn of events that happened recently.

In a span of 3 days, I managed to get myself into a real relationship and not feel trapped.

I suppose this is the start of something good.