Chapter 14: That Moment When...

OLIVER

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I opened the door. She was standing there, looking straight at me with her piercing gray eyes. I didn’t think anyone could be more beautiful than her at that moment. Her midnight blue dress framing her body beautifully and her raven hair resting flawlessly on her shoulder.

I swallowed hard at the sight of her. I wanted to rush to her and take her in my arms, and never let her go. But clearly that was never going to happen.

~**~

The short drive to the grand hall proved to be terrifying for Ava.

We were following closely behind Todd and Hanna. As Todd's car was being driven away by the valet, it was our turn to make our entrance.

Ava exhaled loudly and pursed her lips as we stopped in fron tof the grand hall.

People slowly turned their heads in our direction, anticipation hanging heavily in the air.

I got out of the car and walked to Ava’s door. A couple of people like Jacob, Robb, Caleb, Cameron and Tom came into view and they all cheered for Ava to step out of the car.

I opened her door slowly. As the door reached its peak, I held out my hand for her.

She exhaled loudly as she took my hand. She stepped out of the car and people started to cheer and clap for her. I heard Robb’s voice from a distance saying something like stealing Ava away from me.

If only he knew. You can’t steal her away from me, Robb. Because she’s not mine to begin with.

I handed my keys to the valet and I looked at Ava.

She was standing beside me, taking in the scene before her. I offered my arm and we walked towards the former students of Blake High. They parted in the middle as we entered.

At the end of the hall, I could see Meredith shooting daggers in our direction and not far from her was Camilla who had an evil smirk on her face.

My issue with Camilla has to wait. This night is about Ava.

Just a couple more steps and the grand hall came into view.

The chosen theme was The Great Gatsby and the hall reflected the theme perfectly. With the lavish chandelier hanging from the middle of the ceiling and numerous orb-like lights that riddled the rest of the ceiling which also dangled above our heads. There was a large portion of the hall dedicated for the dance floor and the tables were set up on both sides of the hall. The dance floor was embossed with the Great Gatsby pattern and the rest of the place had the black and gold motif on it.

I looked away from Camilla and kept my attention on Ava. We spotted the registration table near the entrance. We walked towards the table and saw Nicole and Paige manning yet another registration table.

Paige smiled flirtatiously at me and then gave Ava a look that was meant to be condescending. But Ava wasn’t paying attention to her.