Chapter 26: Everything's more Romantic in the Rain

AVA

It was almost November and the weather was getting colder and colder each day.

Maybe not, but it certainly felt that way.

I’ve been going out with Robb more frequently lately and so far, it’s been nice. We usually go out to dinner and/or watch a movie but sometimes, he would have a fun activity up his sleeve like that one time we went to a comedy bar. It was all good and fun.

Todd seemed to be enjoying that too, since he gets to see his high school buddy more often as Robb would sometimes stop by at our office and they’d get to chat, plan hangouts, etc.

But then, I couldn’t fully convince myself that I’ve moved on; that I was ready for a new relationship. I wasn’t telling anybody that either, except Hanna.

Mainly because I didn’t need to tell her.

She just knew.

“Ava, if you’re not happy, why go through with all of this? It’s unfair to both you and Robb. He’s a perfectly nice guy.”

She said over her tea during lunch.

I shrugged. “I don’t know, Han. I just-- I’ve invested quite some time with him already, you know? Maybe something’s bound to happen in the future.”

“That’s called sunk-cost fallacy, Ava. You should know that. You’re a businesswoman, for crying out loud.” She rolled her eyes at me and pursed her lips.

I buried my face in my hands.

“God, I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“Do you miss him?”

Silence.

We haven’t talked about that in a while and I’m not sure I want to start now.

Just when I was about to give her an answer, I heard my name being shouted by a small voice.

“Ava! Ava!”

I looked around to see who it was when I spotted three kids running towards me.

“Hi guys!” I cried out as I opened my arms to make space for the three. Oliver’s cousins, Martin, Faye, and Charlie were in the same restaurant as me and Hanna with their parents.

“You broke your promise!” Faye cried out.

“What do you mean?” I don’t remember making any promises the last time we met.

“You and Olly promised you would visit more often!” Martin said with a pout.

Oh, right. THAT promise. It became null and void when Oliver and I parted ways, but I guess they didn’t know that.