Chapter 18: We're All Human

(Trigger Warning: There is violence and abuse in this chapter.)

CHAPTER 18

A cool November breeze blows my long hair out of my face as I walk out of school.

I stand in the spot where I usually wait for Terrance, kicking the small pebbles that lay lifeless on the ground. Usually, Alex waits with me but today he wasn't at school.

I texted him after Filmmaking, but I got no response.

It's a bit odd too because he's told me numerous times on how much he hates missing school.

I look around at all the chattering teens making their way out of the building. A few stop and wish me a happy birthday and I smile and thank them.

"Ellis Island!" I turn around, a smile on my face.

"Eves, hi." I laugh at the blonde girl in front of me.

Evelyn Peters is in my Spanish and Songwriting class and I love the girl to death.

"Happy birthday cutie!" She gushes, pulling me in for a hug.

"Thank you!"

"What are you doing to celebrate?" She asks, pulling back.

"I don't know, I wanted to sleep but Alex didn't quite like that idea." I sigh.

"Hmm, well text me okay? My present to you is a girls day out. Love you."

"Bye, love you too." I smile and return to my original spot on the sidewalk.

My attention is brought to a loud, familiar, red truck pulling into the parking lot.

Alex?

I quickly jog to the end of the parking lot to his truck, dodging cars as they back out of their parking spaces.

I make my way around the driver's side just as Alex is sliding out.

"Hey there stranger." I laugh.

Without saying anything back he has me pinned up against his truck, his lips pressed against mine. He tastes slightly like the bitterness of alcohol.

He moves his hands that were on my waist slowly to my thighs.

"Alex, what're you doi-" I try to get out but am cut off by his lips against mine once again.

He slowly snakes his hands up the inside of my thighs causing my heart rate to increase.

"Alex stop!" I say, pushing him away.

"What's your problem?" He asks, his words slurring together.

"Are you d-drunk?" I stutter.

"You didn't answer my text!" He yells, ignoring me.

"What are you talking about? I didn't get anymore texts from you last night!" I throw my hands up in the air trying to defend myself.

Last night with Ashton I had gotten a text but it wasn't from him so I have no idea what he's talking about.

He rubs his hand over his scruffy chin and takes a deep breath.

"Alex-" I say reaching up to him.

"What the hell is that?"

My eyes widen as he pulls the sleeve of my sweater up further, revealing the heart with "forever and always" written in it.

"Nothing." I mutter.

"Who wrote this?"

"I did." I say, avoiding his eye contact."