Chapter 1: Encounter

Dedicated to Anonymous_115

It's a calm and peaceful afternoon as usual in Lakeview community. The sun shines at a moderate temperature while the birds can be heard chirping from above. There's minimal traffic in the street as most working class are yet to return leaving the streets to the youth. Schools are out on a holiday break and the atmosphere is perfect for a little get together.

Girl time means fun time and today's get together is being hosted by Esther, the third member of our little group of four. One of the beauties of being hosted by her is the endless supply of cookies and milk, her very own weakness.

My girlfriends or gist partners as I call them are the best in town. Esther Igwe is the supportive friend, Nancy James the annoying baby, Victoria Abayomi the youngest but most annoying (my best friend) and me just being me.

The girls and I lie lazily on the mattress provided by her at the verandah of her house. This is one of the moments when the transformer gets spoilt and the PHCN officials don't feel like working. Forget the news on media about the beautiful and serene environment of Lakeview, Abuja; some of us also experience the bad part of the national cake though not as intense.

We are going through fashion magazines provided by Vicky, our number two member when I sight a folded newspaper sticking from under her pile of magazines. Sue me but I prefer real news than entertainment jargon as I still don't understand the fulfilment or joy one gets from posing half naked for magazines.

"Community in mourning as murderer wipes out family of six." I read out expecting their individual comments.

"What the hell!" Vicky exclaims, disapproval evident on her face.

Sorry for spoiling the moment.

"Geez!" Esther exclaims with her cookie halfway to her mouth.

"Geezer!" Nancy adds while grabbing the paper from me to read the full news.

"Seriously, you had to bring this up now?" Vicky was really mad at me. She hates having her fashion session interrupted.

"Shut up V." Nancy hits her with the closest item she sees which was a hand fan.

"Bad belle." Vicky crosses her legs and went back to her magazine without giving me a second look.

".......heavily pregnant woman. Jesus!" Nancy grabs my attention and this time I yank the paper from her hands to read the news.

"OMG." I quickly cover my mouth to avoid throwing up.

The news was about an extended family who just moved to their own house. Hours after their house warming, the killer who was a suspected guest murdered them in cold blood before fleeing. The pictures are really gory and I wonder how the crime scene will be.

"Yuck!" Vicky tosses the paper aside not wanting to be further irritated. "Can we discuss something else?"

"Like why you're acting so inhumane." I glare at her, surprised at her lackadaisical attitude. We are talking about a murdered family and she just shrugs her shoulders.

"Excuse me, na me kill dem?" She shrugs again.

"Victoria at least show some sympathy and forget what was worn to the Grammy Award for once." Esther yells at her.

Uh Uh.

"Fine o, I'm sorry. Please continue reading your murdered family story." She clicks her tongue and goes back to her TIME magazine.

"Common girl, what if it happened in our community? Vic..."

"Hey." Vicky interrupts Nancy obviously done with the discussion.

"Nawa o." I rest on the wall trying to refill my cup when my attention shifts to a guy coming towards us. He was still at the other side of the street but being a very conscious person I notice him before my friends.

His slightly golden brown hair with a white patch which I find intriguing was enough to make me overlook his athletic body which I normally find intimidating. Not to mention his brown eyes and a perfectly pointed nose which was perfect for his round face.

I look away as he comes closer and that's when my friends notice him. Previous matter forgotten as they hover round him while I remain glued to my spot on the wall.

"Hey Michael how're you doing?" Vicky asks.

Vicky and boys sha.

"Great and you?" He replies showing his perfect set of teeth.

"Good." she answers blushing.

"Good morning." I finally say avoiding his gaze.  He nods in response before asking of Daniel, a mutual friend.

Vicky obviously smitten by him directs him, I roll my eyes at that and decide to quiz her after he leaves.

Making sure he was out of earshot. I ask quietly. "Who was that?"

"A senior and captain of the football club. Michael....Effiong, I think." Vicky relays in one breath.

"Who asked you his history, you could have also predicted his future." That's Esther our group fault finder.

"Girls it's okay, let's not disagree over a question." I plead knowing what's to come next.

Looking at them I wonder how we all coped. Esther, Vicky, Nancy and I are childhood best friends. Our bond is so strong but if you think we should be able to tolerate each other by now, you're damn wrong.

"Ladies." I smile as Daniel comes into view.

"Hi Dan." I wave with a smiling face.

I haven't known Daniel for long but the few time we've been together made me love him. I really like him because of his carefree attitude and as warm as he is, he could be overbearing at times.

Giving him a quick hug I look up to see Michael staring at me. Gosh! He even winked at me.
Feeling his eyes on me, I tell the girls about it using our coded sign which turned out to be a big mistake cause they decide to play matchmaker.

"Please I'm barely sixteen and not as experienced as you girls, I can't handle this."

"Don't worry, I'll do the job myself." Vicky assures me in full matchmaking mode.

Oh boy!

"Let's play Truth or dare." Vicky asks rather too loudly to gain the boys attention.

"I'm in." Dan hurriedly accepts. I wait to see if his friend agrees before considering it.

"Same here." He raises his hand signifying his interest

Taking a quick glance I see him still staring. Feeling uncomfortable I excuse myself leaving behind cheering boys and confused girls.

My friends seems to think I over think things but I don't, I just pay more attention to every detail. I love been very alert and that made me notice Michael even before he crossed the street and in those few minutes I figured at his best toy was a 'die' he kept hidden, well not so hidden.

Well you have the first chapter, please tell me what you think.
Don't forget to share and tap the little star.

Thanks for the cover Anonymous_115
Love ya.