Chapter 19: Unsual deals

Tammy's POV

"I think we should go back. Tammy please." Esther whines from the backseat of the car.

Nancy who was riding shotgun with me hadn't uttered a word since we started the drive two hours ago. The dented nightstand had held a clue, someone had been in my room and I knew it. Someone had tried opening the nightstand and I think the fire ball was the key, only that we had no idea what goes into it and right now we were going to Bahama's way to locate the mall Vicky had bought it from.

"I know what I'm doing, the map says 1km left and then right that's what it says." I scoff keeping my eyes on the road.

"And that's the same thing you said earlier on, can't you get it we're going to get lost and it's past noon. When will we get back to Lakeview?" I was getting tired of her insistent complain.

"Esther just shut up I'm driving." my mom will freak it if she knew I was away with her car. Ever since I learnt driving I had ridden her car just within Lakeview, which was a norm for other teens with driving skills but it was my first time being far from home and I had no trouble getting lost.

"Fine do as you please but just slow down so I can ask a passerby for directions and forget this stupid map. We're going to get nowhere."

"Fine." I park by a corner. "Ask a passerby and then prepare extra answers if the person happens to be a police officer."

This is Nigeria and the legal age for driving is eighteen that's when you officially become an adult and we were just under seventeen. Not to mention that they were random car muggings reported lately in other parts of the state.

"Just drive." she concedes reclining on the seat.

"Aren't you_"

"Shut up and drive." she shuts me down. I take a glance at Nancy who was still mum.

"Nancy are you okay?. you've been unreasonably quiet all through." I least expected an answer because we've asked her before.

"Bahama's way is right after that corner." she points to a Catholic Church in a hoarse voice.

"Good radiance." Esther exclaims. "You finally talked, was thinking you've gone deaf and dumb already."

"Shut up girl." I scold her.

How did she know about this place, the burning question was on my mind but when I turn to look at her she had gone mum again.

I pull over at a park in front of the mall, the bustling and bustling of the mall made me remember LBC back in our community. Ademola's plaza was as big as LBC; they were varieties of outlets ranging from boutiques to household supplies and cooking wears nothing like an antique shop in sight. We got down and walked quickly to the first guard we see.

"Good afternoon sir, please we're looking for an antique shop or a furniture house." I ask my eyes darting around. I get that feeling of been watched and I turned to my friends, they felt it too as we all darted our eyes around the mall missing the guard's explanation.

"Sorry we didn't get." I turn to face him wanting to get out of this place.

"First floor east wing that's where the furniture shops are, opposite are the antiques." he explains hating to repeat himself twice.

"Thanks." we say and head towards the building.

"Crap I forgot where east is." I had two heads turn to me immediately.

"Have you been flunking geography?" Esther gives me the mommy's look.

"Nope, but I never really gave a damn about it. Just reading for WAEC." I shrug.