Chapter 12: Riddles

Tammy's POV

"Good evening miss Egoh, I'm Inspector Lawrence and you're needed for questioning at the police station. " he flashes his badge at me.

"What!" I hear collective gasp as his partner brings out his handcuffs.

I'm still yet to come to terms that I'm being detained for what I have no idea about. It's been three long hours I was told to sit here and in those three hours I've memorized every damn thing about this interrogation room.

You think the police will at least renovate and upgrade their office due to the heavy bails and allowance they collect each day, no.

It was a plain room with sparten furniture and a recorder, with walls which were obviously sound proofed.
This room was so ugly unlike the ones I see on TV and the only thing keeping me sane was my mother looking at me from the other side of the room barricaded by a glass.

"So miss Egoh."

Finally.

I look up to see inspector what's his name, oh! Lawerence stroll in casually. Does he have any idea how long I've been holed up here. I feel like tearing his face up but I've got no claws.

"So miss Egoh, your lawyer finally arrived. Can we start now." he opens a file and set the tape recorder in place.

Wow, so I get to have a lawyer. Cool.

"Good morning, I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. I'm Barrister Desmond Ayanwu." my lawyer shakes hand with us. I turn to see my mom wipe a tear from her eyes.

I'm sorry mom, but I can't remember doing anything.

"Shall we proceed?" Barrister Desmond unbuttons his suit calmly.

Gosh! , I roll my eyes

Must lawyers put up a show.

"Yes we can." Inspector Lawerence looks over his file again and taps his recorder on.

Show time.

“Can we know you?"

“I’m Tamuno. Tamuno Grace Egoh, an SS3 student of Lakeview college and a resident of House 5, Marana way.” I exhale. It’s been long I gave such a speech.

“Okay Miss Egoh, it's stated here that on the 19th of September you happened to witness the murder of Mrs Badmus." he brings out pictures from a folder.

What!

"I don't understand sir, I know nothing about this." I stare at the pictures of the once pretty woman. Mrs Badmus who was the victim of that night.

"Are you saying you have no idea whatsoever concerning her death?" he gives me the liar look.

"Sir, I swear. I never knew she was the victim till now. I never knew her name."

"Repeat that statement please." he smile like he's just caught his culprit.

"Sir I_" my eyes widened as I remember my previous statement. Did I just admitted to knowing about this.  "I_"

"Will you speak." he slams the table hard making me jerk backward.

"Inspector you have no right to threaten my client. It's obvious she's shaken by your aggressiveness. Would you please mellow down." my lawyer interceded.

"Oh please Barrister Desmond you heard her well."

"Of course I did but that gives you no right to threaten her."