Chapter 6: Confrontation

Vicky's POV

I make up an excuse to escape history which was my last class, hoping to get home to my mom before dad least the inevitable happens again.

I had been considering Esther's advice and at the long run I decided to give it a shot, hit or miss only fate will decide since I rarely believe in luck.
I get to my doorstop and I've never felt as weak as I am now to push the door. Summoning courage I push the door and walk in, the familiar scent of honeyed cupcakes hit my nostril making me shudder with the thought that I'm going to miss this if fate decides to take my mother from me.

"Mom I'm home" I yell going to the kitchen to help myself to those honeyed cupcakes I'm always drawn to. "Mom, your cupcakes are always delicious." I munch away on one unfortunate cupcake taking extra care to avoid colliding with the honey jar as I ransack the kitchen for any meal, I was always hungry.

Getting no response I race upstairs praying to God that she should be home at least to give me her warm smile.

"Mom" I called out again pushing her room door open. "Oh God, she left already."

I break down in tears picking up the letter she left and her wedding ring. She never removed her ring saying it was the one thing that proved she belonged to my father and right now this prized possession was lying carelessly on the bed. Willing myself to, I opened the letter and read.

Dearest,

I'll be long gone by the time you get this.

Dearest, I wish it hadn't come to this but it did, I remember how you wooed me and captured my heart with your caring and loving attitude how I wish we could go back in time.

You meant everything to me even after the kids started coming, Ayomi you made me believe in unconditional love but then you shattered the love we struggled to build.
I tried staying back believing all will get better but it never did. I'm not sorry it came to this but I know my God will vindicate me.
Please take care of the children and should my baby girl ask, please tell her the truth, she deserves to know.
Bye.

That's it, no reason for her departure except to know the truth.

"What truth ?" I scream tearing down the whole place for a clue on why she left.

"Mummy why did you leave? Who's going to bake me honeyed cupcakes? Who's going to tell me girl things while the guys watch their game" I ask myself over and over again.