Chapter 18: Bigger circle, bigger troubles.

Tammy's POV

"Results from the lab shows that your father's fingerprint were found on the envelope and pictures. Well it's no surprise considering that it was found in his room. You may excuse us now please.", he motioned to the other officer to take me away.

"So Mr Egoh.", I hear the inspector start the interrogation process all over again but this time with my father.

I woke up with a start as I have the dreams again, my father's arrest had been running through my mind for days now and I ended up reliving the moment all over in my dreams.

I turn towards the window and the sun rays from the partly opened windows blinds me for a moment. I hear a soft music in the background as well as the noise of playing children outside. Turning to the right side of the bed I smile as I notice a tray of tea and pancakes. Mom had made it a ritual to serve me breakfast in bed ever since I got back from the station.

It's been five days I was freed and that meant five days of my father being in police custody. Mystery man as Nancy called him was being ruthless as well as cautious and no one not even the police could match up to him.
I check the time on my phone 10:15am, I've been a deep sleeper these days and it was terrible, thanks but no thanks to the nightmare which keeps me up at night. Thank God it's saturday, I can't bear to be in school now, not with all that's been happening.

I sigh exasperatedly as the thought of another long and boring day fills my mind.

"Tammy." I hear a knock outside my door.

Crap.

I forgot the girls were coming over, well not all three. Vicky was still MIA and that increased my worry, if not for her note we would have filled a missing person report.

"Come in." I call out as they knock again. Knocking, that was something Vicky would hardly ever do.

"Hi Tammy." Nancy slumps on the bed beside me.

"Hey." I look at a zombie like Esther who sits on the floor resting her head on the bed.
"What's going on?" my girls will never be in this situation unless something went wrong.

"Promise me you won't spill." Esther says while Nancy muttered to herself.

"I promise." I raise my hand in a pledge.

"I'm serious Tam, remember rule number five. Never betray your friends trust."

"Sure I do but remember rule number four says secrets are a no go area." I reply wondering were this was leading to.

"And rule number_"

"Oh shut up and get this done already." Nancy bewailed hugging my teddy tighter.

"I did it."

"You did what." I ask quietly.

"I caused Bukola's kidnap."

"What!" I was getting enough shockers everyday and it ought to have become a norm but each one is always worse than the last.

"Yes." she cried. "I got a text when I came to see you at the hospital, mystery man texted me. It was actually an exchange for your life."

"Slip of mouth, slip of hand." Nancy says.

"I don't understand you." I was getting crazier by the second.

She explained everything that transpired between them showing me the messages to back up her claim.

"We should see the police." I advise earning a stare from four pair of eyes, dark and teary eyes actually.

"We can't, what if he hurts her." Esther sobs again. I really feel for her but my father was behind bars and I couldn't think straight. Here I am trying to find out what happened with the pictures while I was away and now this.

"I've got a plan." I've watched a few detective movies to know what to do.

"What's that." Nancy ask dryly.

"If mystery man is trying to break us I think we should frustrate him by growing our circle."

"Tamuno are you really okay?, like did the doctor okay you to leave?"

"Nancy I know what I'm saying, I've seen this in movies. Growing our circle will help stall him, he'll have to think of other plans to come up with and by then we would have thought of something." I tried to reason with them.

"No girl, he'll surely make us pay one way or the other. What does having extra friends mean."

"We could have extra eyes and ears. Bigger circle means bigger info. We'll have a stronger backup." I reply Nancy, holding her hands to assure her I knew what I was doing.

"No girl you're wrong. Bigger circle, bigger troubles. Bigger circle, bigger manipulations. Can't you see it Tammy we'll be playing right into his hands." I scrunch my nose as I thought over it, Esther might have a point there.

If there was one thing mystery man wanted it was more people to manipulate, more people to get his job done, more people to take the blame while he he walks a free man amongst us. The thought makes me cringe inside, but what if she's wrong and it scares him away. Who am I fooling I was scaring my friends away, after all I'm the one who just got out of prison....well not technically but I did spend time at the station.

"Have you heard from Vicky?" Nancy asks and my face falls, it was my turn to hug my teddy and I look up as Nancy wraps her arms around me.

"I'm sorry I asked, wanted to know if she contacted you. Guess she was shaken but_"

"We all are Nannycy, we all are." Esther lies on the floor not minding the tiles which were probably cold.

"She shouldn't have left that way." I whisper looking away. Tears fall from my eyes as I stare at my nightstand, it had been a gift from her to mark my birthday years ago when my dad was away at a construction site. I stare at it for too long noticing something off, the dragon ball sculpture was nothing new but the tip of the fire had an extra line dented into it, like someone had tried getting something from it by applying force.

I get down from the bed and cussed softly as the cold floor hit my skin. Walking barefooted two steps away i reach for the nightstand and traced the line, going round the fire ball to the base where it sat on the dragon's mouth and then I noticed it.

"Damn."

Just so you know I love you.
Follow me on Insta: ChisomVGC

Thanks love.