Chapter 20: Unaware.

Dedicated to Rita_writes.

Tammy's POV

"In exchange for finding out how to open your nightstand you'll come with me to my father's campaign dinner alone."

WTF.

How on earth did she know about the nightstand. What else does Faye Williams know.

"How did you know about the nightstand." Esther inquires with a perplex look.

"Hmm. Let's just say a little birdy told me about it or I happened to be at the store where it was gotten or_" she smiles mischievously.

"Or what?" I ask her.

"Or you could just return the napkin the waitress hid under your plate."

Damn.

I look at my bewildered friends and turn back to Faye. "How did you know that?"

"Let's just skip that part shall we or what do you think?"

I just nod and will myself to stand. Walking slowly towards the counter I open the napkin when I'm few feet away. 

Don't trust her.

Crap.

How did the waitress get wind of this, I thought Bahama's way was safe but no. Not even the yoghurt I ordered could be trusted. At the counter I lock eyes with the waitress and hand over the napkin. Without any word being said I walk back calmly to our booth and sit beside my friends, no way was I sitting near Faye.

"Did you open it, well I'm sure you did but I don't mind. Just show up for the dinner this Thursday or June's gonna get stomped on." she walks out leaving behind cash to foot our bills.

"June's gonna get stomped on. That girl is officially crazy." Esther hiss at her retreating figure.

"Yeah, I mean what or who the hell is June?"

"I don't know." she shrugs munching her cake.

"Nancy?"

"Can I concentrate on my meal?" she skips the question.

"Fine. Anyway its free food so let's enjoy it." I bite down on my cake as we eat quietly forgetting our worries for the moment.

#

It's thursday night, the night of the campaign dinner.
I've been through my wardrobe twice earlier in the day and there was nothing befitting for me to wear so I'm settling for a cream coloured gown I pulled out earlier. It was a late new year's gift from my dad and seeing it brought nostalgic feelings.

"Tammy are you ready?" the girls barge in with full arms.

"What are those?" I gawk at the cartons and paper bags with crayons sticking out of them.

"These are our plan b." Esther state spreading the content on the bed.

"And what is plan A?" I ask with a raised brow.

"You silly." Nancy pokes me by the side.

"I'm lost."

"I'll take it from here," Esther collects a key chain from Nancy. "You know what this is?"

I roll my eyes and turn to the dressing table, "it's obviously a key chain."

"Dummy," she facepalm herself. "It's a key chain with a secret camera."

"No way."

"Yes way." Nancy implies.

"Are you kidding me? Where did you get this." I look back and forth between them.

"Calm down girl. We have our ways remember." Esther smiles and proceeds to the next item, a sunglass.

"This, is not your ordinary sun..."

"Of what good will at be? It's a dinner." I cut in, unsure of her silly spy kid idea.

"Oh, my bad." she toss it aside and move to another item. "This bracelet is a portable recording device and has a long distance capacity. That means it can record sounds a 100 metres away."

"I'm definitely not doing this." I own up.

"Off course you are. You gonna get us what we need." she place the key chain around my neck.

"What you're doing?" I ask with bulge eyes.

"Fortifying you for tonight. It's either you snoop around and find out secrets of that bitch or use this to get us mystery man. Either way we win." she strap the bracelet on my wrist.

"Oh no you're silly. Nancy please tell her that." I face a busy Nancy working on my phone. "What are you doing?" I shriek.

"Chill girl. I was just installing a mobile tracker on your phone. We can't have you walk into lion's den unprepared."

"And how much of turning me to a spy is prepared."

"That is the preparation." she explains.

"Gosh! this is so fucked up. I don't even know how this things work. I've never been a spy and now you're putting me in a fix." I rant, wanting them to see reasons with me.

"Says James Bond on his first attempt." Nancy picks up the paper bag with crayons. "You got to do this or we're doomed. Mystery man is still out there remember and might happen to be at this dinner."

"True Tammy. That's why I stole all this from my dad's store." Esther adds.

"What!!" I gape at her.

"Yap and he won't be back from base until about nine months so we've got full access to all this supplies." she shrugs like it wasn't a big deal.

"Esther the last thing I want is for a personnel to walk through those doors asking for me again." I start to take them off me.

"Tammy." they both scream.

"Fine. I'll be your spy for tonight but make sure nothing happens to me or we'll all pay the station a visit." I warn.

"I promise love. mSpy is one of the best trackers in the world and I promise you it's very reliable." Nancy assures me.

"Tested and trusted." Esther confirms.

"Like you've done this before." I roll my eyes and grab my purse from the dressing table.

I try to keep my thoughts in check as Nancy touch up my make up. Stepping into the black heels Esther picked out I feel a new sense of being, replacing the old me with a purpose driven me.

I pause at the doorway and ask one of the questions throbbing me. "Why me?"

Nancy gives me an encouraging smile. "Because if anyone can do this. It's you Tam."

"She's right. You can do this Tam." Esther hugs me from behind.

I feel my knees go weak as my girls hug me, these girls have faith in me even if I'm sure of my failure.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, "Let's do this."

"That's my girl." Nancy tickles me and I roar in laughter on my way out. Good thing no one is home.

Beep.

I unlock my phone to read the message.

Lincoln's hotel and suite. 45, Marana way.
The party is about getting started.
Don't chicken out now.
🙃

"Faye." I click my tongue as I flag down a taxi. Even if I wanted to chicken out, it was too late. I open the taxi's door and settle in.

Student cum suspect and now spy.
Please let's give a resounding applause for Tammy.