Chapter 24: Interrogation 2

Tammy's POV

I don't know how long we've stayed here giving the tight security and not even a glimpse of the outside world. Everything we did here was routinary. From being woken with chilled water to house cleaning and other jobs, everything ends up with us back in our hole.

I look down at Bukola sleeping few feets away from me. Her once fitted gown now hangs loosely on her. Not to forget her collar bone sticking out like a sign post.

I yawn as I finish packing the last box of supplies. They never said what it held and I didn't bother asking.
Tapping slightly, that nostalgic feelings of home comes again. I wonder how my girls are doing, Mom would be heartbroken and Heaven knows if my dad has been released.

Going through the back door I enter the other room for the first time and then I saw it. Right in front of me was a door leading outside. My freedom was one step away but I never knew.

Doubling back quietly I cradle the pack of bones which was once flesh, signal to her to keep quiet then led the way. Good thing the main men are away on a trip for a very important assignment. The other men are simply guards who loved drinks more than their lives.

Don't be deceived by the movies, lock picking is harder in reality.
I try without luck to pick the lock to no avail.

"Look up." Bukola whispers weakly.

Looking up I see a bunch of keys and one after the other I try them out. Already on the fifth one when we hear movements upstairs.
If I could ignore the movements I couldn't ignore the sounds from the approaching vehicles.

Damn.

"Let's go back. Aunty please." she hangs to my skirt tightly.
Her bulged eyes, raspy voice and weak hold was enough for me to have a rethink.

"Fine. We will try some other time." I hang back the key on the hook reluctantly. This was our chance to escape and we lost it.

We will try again, hopefully.

#

"Where went you? I say where went you." I jerk back as my captor approaches.

We were careful enough, how did he know we left the room. I glance at Bukola in the corner, biting her lips badly to keep her from spilling. Unfortunately this caught his attention.

"Now young lady, you will tell me where you both went to." he removes his belt and I know what's next.

I give her the signal to keep shut or our means of escape is gone.

"I don't know." she breaks down, cringing in a corner.

"I know you do and you will tell me."

"I went out." I blurt out the moment he raises his belt to hit her. "I... I.. I went to the kitchen." I lie.

"For what." he turns to me.

"For...for.. water." I quickly cover up.

Each step towards me results to me going backwards and soon I was trapped by the wall.
I clench my teeth as the first lash lands on my shoulder. I broke a rule, never to go out without being invited.

Nancy's POV

Bad news is presently the only news in Lakeview community. Jumbling between placing a call to the police and packing up necessary evidence I stumble across the steps.

Déjàvu has never been much stronger than today. Reaching for the stairs I get a sharp piercing pain on my left leg.

I hear a scream and don't realize its coming from me till my mom comes rushing towards me.

"Nancy, what is it?" she flings the napkin, running up the stairs.

"My leeegg." I close my eyes, shaking my head as the pain becomes unbearable.
Still in pain, the hot feeling on that same leg gets me to open my eyes and I see my mom crouched over me, applying the hottest aboniki balm ever on me.

"Oohhhh." I mutter gibberish as she massages the leg with the soothing balm.
"Mummy leave me, leave me alone o. " I try pushing her hands off to no avail.

In one second she had my hands pinned behind me while she condemns my leg to hell ignoring my plea.

The police siren just outside our house halts both activities as I remember the call.

Geez.

I was hoping to tell the police of Gozie being trailed but for the stupid accident.
Mom helps me down the stairs with my other foot lifted high above the ground.

It's going to be a long day.

"Good morning ma. I'm Inspector Lawerence."

Not again. Tammy practically hates this guy.

"And I'm Agent Micheal." he closes his ID in a flash. "An accident occurred precisely thirty minutes ago...

Gozie, Gozie.

...and the last number on the victim's contact list happens to be you. Nancy." he gives me a stern look with a raised brow on seeing my posture.

"She stumbled down the stairs half an hour ago." My mom clears the doubt.

"Hmm." he huffs. "I see. Well you'll both be needed at the station for questioning. You have the right to call your lawyer at the station but we'll need you to remain silent."

Or anything you say will be used against you in the court of law.

This is it. I look up at my mom's bewildered eyes as the police men leads us to their van. We aren't even allowed to lock our doors or take any possession with us.

The drive to the police station proves to be a long one. Many questions race my mind as each building we passed leads us closer to the station.
The news of the accident was already on air as journalists fights for a chance to record our arrival.

"..and the suspect has been apprehended by the police...."

I wish to break the news reporter's head for that. Suspected what? My name was just on his contact list for crying out loud.

"Fuck you" I feel like yelling at her but Inspector Lawerence already pulled me into the station.

"Prepare the room." he orders one of his subordinates. "We will take your statement now." he motions to a desk which we occupy.

First was Tammy and now me. Mystery man got an extra point.

"You may proceed." he indicates as the secretary slides a paper to me.

Hello Gamers. Just wanted to check on you all.