Chapter 13: More Riddles

Esther's POV

I've been pacing round my room for hours now, looking at the clock every few minutes for when the clock chimes 8. I don't know how long I've waited but tears flow from my eyes as I recall the last few days.

Lakeview community was all peace and quiet but then we had our first murder, an arson and now a suspected underage criminal.

Gosh!  Did I just call Tammy that.
I'm sorry Tam.

Is this the same criminal from the papers? The one Vicky never wanted to hear of, remembering the brutal way that family died made me nauseous.
What on earth is happening to us, everything seems to be a nightmare and I can't wait for it to go away.

Dong

I hear the clock chime. I run to window to hear which chiming clock was accompanied by a ringing bell. That was my way of decoding the riddle.

What???

That was LBC center clock and it was thirty minutes away on foot. Scrap it, I'm getting a bike.

I rush downstairs ignoring the questions from my mother. She's been watching me like an eagle ever since she heard of Tammy's arrest. Thank God it hasn't been made public, it'll be a shame, a very big one. I stop the first bike I see telling him to move with the greatest speed ever, did he?, of course not. We'll both be arrested and that doesn't suit well with me. At least he was moving at a considerable speed.

"Stop me here." I jump down running towards the centre's  door.

"Hey my money." he shouts parking by the side.

Damn it.

I run back to him trying to open my purse and check my inbox at the same time.

"Keep the change." I can't have anything happen to my friend because of a hundred and fifty naira.

The pinkest shade stands out for its_.

"No no no. Not another one. It took me an hour to crack the first riddle not this again." I yell at my phone getting the attention of other people.

"Ma, would you please keep it low." the security man gives me a warning look.

I just nod and walk away. To get the pinkest shades of things I'll have to walk into every store and they were like a_a fifty.

Crap, I'm not doing that.

I resort to window shopping, I should be able to find things easier that way. God why should a shopping centre be this big.
I do this till I get to the third floor, Kiddies n Bunnies a kiddies store had everything you could think of in different shades and one pink cute teddy bear was really outstanding.

This it.

I did a little happy dance as I walk into the store. The bell rings above me signalling a customer had entered. The last thing I needed was attention so I smiled at one of the shop assistant.

I can do this on my own.

I swallow deep breaths as I round the corner to the other side of the store where the pink teddy bear stood out. At first I observed from a safe distance but when I noticed the ladies eyes on me I walk calmly to the stuffed animal. Picking it up with care while having a permanent smile on my face. I look at the price tag. What! This people were thieves why would a stuffed animal worth fifteen thousand naira.

Fifteen.

As I study the bear I see something off about the collar, loosing it up a bit a note falls out. Sue me but I've got to give it to this guy, he sure knows how to get things done.

The pinkest shade stands out for it's worthlessness, expensive rubbish.
I redo the collar, put the note in my purse and feign a call to get me out of the store. Kiddies n Bunnies bye, never to see you again.

Making sure I was devoid of prying eyes I reach for the note in my purse.

Being nothing helps achieve something. Gifts are for what it counts, remembrance.

This is the part where I totally give up, is the fool telling me to get that thing with my money. East, west, north and south I could never get fifteen thousand in three months.

Crap

Beep.

Another crap.

Hey Esther what's up. Do you mind helping me pick a present for my baby sister, it's her birthday and I can't think of anything to give.
Thanks in advance, Ty.

Oh no, is Tayo the one to reap the fruits of sorrow. I'm so not doing this to the one person who matters most to me. No way Tayo, I'm not doing this. I start to type my refusal when I get a call from an unknown number.

"Hello." I say shaking. Since MO good ever happens these days.

"Tick tock says the clock tick tick. What you have to do, do quick. Tick tock says the clock tick_"  a popular nursery rhyme plays to my ear.

I end the call groaning inwardly.

"Fuck you, fuck you." I yell to my phone. This bastard had it all planned out and I'm just being a tool to him.

Fine, I'll play along. Darn.

I text Tayo telling him to meet me at LBC center. I look around at shoppers minding their business once again.

The Lieutenant Balogun Charity Centre was one of the best shopping mall in the whole of Wuse II, Abuja and we had shoppers from different part of the state come in. Guess that's why a stupid non living thing would worth fifteen thousand naira.

"Hey baby." Tayo smiles on seeing me.

God this guy was a demi god. He was just perfect, too perfect to warrant this pending doom.

"Hey. I got the perfect gift for your sister. Let's go."

I lead him to Kiddies n Bunnies again pointing out the teddy bear to him.

"She will love this, I promise you.", I wear another fake smile.

"Thanks dear. You're the best."

I watch him pay and carry the object of doom home. I don't know what this mystery man had planned but I'm sure it's no good.
Why do bad things happen to good people I wonder.

Beep.

Presents should be memorable or what do you think.

Darn.

What does this stalker have in stock tonight.

Darn! Who the hell is this guy and what does he want with Tayo's baby sister. I wonder what's going to happen now.

Gosh. What do you have to say about this?