Chapter 7: Call of death

Tammy's POV

It's been hours since the scary news meaning my friends will soon be over since school's out already. I set down to do my chores creating more free time for when the girls come.
It's not fun being the only one staying at home when all the other kids are in school especially when you go to a different school.

I go back to my cleaning humming the tone of pills and potions softly just to get the news off my mind. I had to finish cleaning the kitchen today and those empty trash cans by the door were screaming dispose me. Ordinarily I would have taken time cleaning but I was really worried and just wanted to get my mind of that feeling.

Today was thrash day and if I really wanted to be on schedule I must strip off the old and worn-out decorations and items before the LAWMA comes by 2pm. The kitchen was painted a faded shade of blue and pink with removable wall decor which were getting off.

Gosh! I hate pink.

While the paintings were still intact the racks on the wall made it all tacky, trust Nigerian moms to design their kitchen with all sorts of racks.

You had a rack for knife, pans, sieve and gala-gala, don't know what its called in English language.

There was a knife rack by the left next to an open cupboard which held an almost empty cereal pack. The Gino tomatoes were arranged in a row on one of the shelves and there you have the onga spices packed in a transparent container, next the Maggi and so on.

Did I forget to mention that all seasoning cubes in naija is termed 'Maggi', guess not. Likewise all toothpaste are known as 'maclean'. Don't ask which we use.

Despite we had all our foodstuffs in transparent containers mom still had their names glued on them, written in black bold letters. After the incident of my late uncle's wife who mistook sugar for salt mom had  taken precautions and labelled all the foodstuffs at home.

Village people sha., I laugh as I remember the look of horror on her face that day when she tasted her yam and it was very sugary. Since then we had no more village visitors, August visitors or whatever it's called these days, that was the end of their coming.

I look around the kitchen after four hours of intensive cleaning and took note of the finished items getting a notepad and a pen to make a shopping list lest I forget.

Glad with myself for my hard work I set out to bake some cookies and go over the shopping list I made earlier.
The kitchen was beginning to lack some necessities like eggs and jam...okay not really lacking but at least they won't last till next weekend and I prefer to shop on weekends. Praising myself for my awareness I hear the door bell same time the phone rings, I pull out a batch of cookies slotting another in simultaneously before going to answer the door but surprisingly I see no one.

"Hello. Who's there? Who's there?" I call out twice. Getting no reply I go back inside and almost missed the little package on the dinning table.

Uh uh, that wasn't there earlier.

Okay I'm not freaking out but I'm highly positive that this brown envelope wasn't lying there this morning.

Cautiously checking out its content I see its addressed to no one. Written barely legible at the corner was 'Egoh', but why sneak into the house, why not through a courier. I resist the urge to open it and go back to my baking.
I stop dead in my track noticing some cookies were missing.

"Who's there?" I ask again this time as scared as a cat. As usual no one responds and I do the only thing I could, go back to the envelope.

Tearing it open I see pictures.

That's odd. why will anyone sneak in to drop an envelope of pictures, stealing cookies in the process.

I go through the pictures staring at beautiful faces smiling at the camera with a X written boldly on one. If there's something common about them its that they all have a tiny mole by the nose like it's some type of birth mark. I put the pictures back seeing no relevance about it till something struck me.

Faye has a tiny mole too, barely noticeable its more like a God mark. I go back to the pictures examining them over again till I see one that looks like Faye's. Studying it I take in her features for the first time going over the rest to see if there are similarities. Of course there are but it doesn't look like they're related.

I'm still pondering on what to do with them when I hear movement behind me.

"Nancy you scared me."

"Why won't I when you're engrossed with your dinning table."

I had flipped the envelope under the table mat on hearing the noise.

"So engrossed that those cookies are burnt as hell." Esther added standing by the kitchen door giving me her angry look.

"My cookies." I rush to the kitchen. She had saved them but not all were fortunate some were badly burnt and others barely edible. "My cookies." I say again at my wasted effort.

"Sorry, I could manage some that's if you top it up with a glass of milk."

I never understand Esther's craving for milk but I handed her the milk jug. With the pictures still on my mind something struck me, at that moment I got a text.

Oh my God.

I know its really short. I had some kinda family crisis and its not been easy. I just decided to drop this for you guys. Will love to hear from you.

Vote, comment and follow.
Love ya.