Chapter 2:Saviour

I hate night walks.

This's probably the tenth time I'm saying that. I'm running an errand for my dad and I have just my phone as company.

I hate night walks.

Then I hear my name.

"Tammy, Tammy." the voice calls. I turn around to see a gasping Vicky running towards me. I make a mental note to tell her that running wasn't her thing. And by the way Tammy is the nickname for Tamuno Grace Egoh, so you see I'm just plain Tamuno.

I hate that name.

"Running ain't your thing V." I say when she gets to me.

Catching her breath she nods in reply while muttering "I know."

"Where're you going?" she asks when she's fully calm and collected.

"Just going over to the pharmacy, dad's at it again." My dad just love giving us one supplement or the other, well I don't tell him that I throw mine away because I'm sick and tired of it.

Understanding me she nods and we walk in silence till we see him.

Michael.

"Ladies." he says, imitating Dan's style of greeting with an inviting smile.

"Yea yea." Vicky gives him her sweetest smile.

I wonder why she's blushing badly

"It seems my friend here don't like me." he refer to me seeing my frown.

How do I tell him his stature is really intimating and I'm struggling with low self esteem.
Ignoring him I turn to face Vicky signaling for us to leave, he took the cue and excused himself.

Good riddance, I smile and that earned me a glare from her.

"What's with that face?" I ask laughing, it only made her stare more and I laughed again at her hard try to give me the mummy's face. She squinted her eyes furrowing her brow in the process, she looked ridiculous and that made me laugh harder till my sides hurt.

"What in heaven's name is wrong with you?" she demanded getting angry.

Calming myself I just smiled at her and gave her the puppy eyes.
"Sorry V." Glad I can still pull that look because she forgives me instantly.

After getting what I wanted we engaged in a little talk on our way back home before I realised that I had misplaced the change.

"What's the problem?." Vicky asks seeing the look on my face.

"I think I've  misplaced the change
" I pulled her back towards the direction of the pharmacy.

We went back only to be told that I really collected my change, I felt crushed and silent all the way back home.

"Having problems?" I hear Michael ask.

Could today be any worse. This guy really comes at the wrong times.

"Nothing." I almost scream at him wiping my teary eyes.

"You don't need to hate me please, I'm human too you know...... Why are you crying?" he voice out of concern.

I don't hate you, I scream inside.

I don't just like his pitiful eyes and just when I'm about to speak up Vicky does...as usual.

"Won't you tell him, he might just be the help you need.", She scolds me, leave her to be the mummy figure she just can't fit into.

"I misplaced my change on my way back." I tell him conceding defeat while avoiding his eyes.

"Okay." he laughs.

Are you kidding me, I tell you my problem and you dare laugh.

"Okay, so how much is it?." I look up immediately at my saviour.

" Th...three hundred naira." I stammer wanting to be anywhere but here.

I watch him bring out his wallet and count five hundred naira notes.

"Here." he smiles, "keep the rest."

Like seriously.

I resist at first but then he spoke kindly to me urging me to. For the first time I looked at his eyes and felt my heart do a happy dance.

Five hundred naira can really go a long way especially when saving me from a long talk at home.
Collecting the money with shaky hands I whisper a small thank you which only he could hear.

"I'm not buying you with this but I really wish we could be friends. Do I stand a chance?" His eyes pleads with me to accept.

Friends.

That's what they all say, I'm sure he's wanting to be more than that.

"Hmmm...yea I think so. " I stretch out my hands which he gladly accept. "Friends."

Under probation.

"Friends." he take my hand. "Thanks, I promise you won't regret it." He assured me smiling and I couldn't help staring at his eyes.

Nodding I bade him goodnight and stared at his retreating figure into the night.

"Earth to Tammy." Vicky snapped me back to the present. " Wow girl, I thought you hated him but you accepted his friendship the moment he offered."

Gosh! Vicky not now.

Smiling I turn to face her, " I think he's cool." I tell her what she wants to hear even though I still didn't like him. My five hundred naira was really speaking.

Shame on you Tamuno. You sell your friendship for just five hundred Naira.

"Cool, you say cool. You should see the girls drooling over him school. Then you'll know he's not just cool he's a god." She could go on ranting about his prowess so I just walk away letting her run after me.

"Night night V.", I say when we get to her house. Without waiting for her reply I sprint home. I've wasted a lot of time and trust Nigerian parents, they'll kill me.

I sleep that night exhausted after tossing and turning for hours thinking of Micheal and my extra two hundred naira. It's not everyday I get to count my blessings.
There was something really intriguing about this Micheal guy, something I was going to find out soon.

So she finally accepts him, cool right. I wonder where this is going but then we have to ask her.
Thanks for reading and please don't forget to let me know what you think.
Remember to vote Dearie's.