Chapter 26: Busted

Vicky's POV

I cast a eight maybe ninth glance at the clock just above the front desk officer. Looking at Inspector Lawerence tapping anxiously fueled my uneasiness. It was taking forever for Esther to get her lawyer and everyone already lost their patience. Even Nancy was beginning to mumble incoherently.

"This is the last time I'll ask of her whereabout. Where is she?" He growls at me.

Gripping the chair to avoid falling off I avoid his gaze. Inspector Lawerence surely deserves all the hate in this world.

"Sir." A subordinate calls his attention, our attention as Esther walks in with the toughest Lawyer of all time; Barrister Temitola_

"Agnes!"

Holy crap, did he just call her by her first name.

"James." She smirks.

Obviously there's no love lost between these two as they finally break their staring contest.

"Can we get started?" Esther inquires.

"Sure." He huffs, scratching his chin as he led the way to the interrogation room.

"Is there a back story between these two?" Nancy whispers.

"What do you expect from a law enforcement officer and a lawyer?" Esther scoffs stressing the lawyer.

There was obviously a back story between them.

"I have no time to waste. You've wasted it already." He clicks his tongue as we enter.
Barrister Temitola was really having an effect on him.

Nancy's POV

"We'll skip the formalities as we've wasted enough time already. They've been an accident and I'm supposed to be out there with my team searching..."

I tune out his endless blabbing, like seriously who was wasting time now. I'm really torn between keeping shut and asking about Gozie. We're yet to get updates on his whereabouts and the reports from the LSDFC were yet to arrive.

"Nancy, Nancy..."

"Nannycy." I stare blankly at Esther before rembering what was happening.

"Sorry I zoned out. What were you saying?"

"You were the last person to hear from Gozie and surprisingly you've not been on talking terms."

So you're our number one suspect. I fully understand the implication of that statement.

"Sir I.."

"You fully understand you're on record right?" I nod. "And everything you say must surely be accounted for right?" I nod again. "And that means..."

"She gets it. Don't you?" Barrister Temitola rolls her eyes and I just nod in return.

"Great. Now let's get this over with, shall we?" He rubs his palm together asking no one in particular.

I look at the girls and we silently pass a message, no matter what happens don't betray the girls code. Meaning say nothing about the notes, texts etc.

"We have evidence that you two, sorry you three are involved in this case and others relating to a..." he looks at each of us, pausing for a dramatic effect. "Mystery Man?"

Holy cow.

The shared glance between us said it all.

"No fucking way."

"How did you know that?"

Busted. So much for keeping the girl's code. I snort rolling my eyes at them.

"A-ha, I was right. So you three and the other girl," he looks through a file "Tammy..."

"Don't call her that." I cut in.

"What!" He glares daggers at me.

"You've not earned that."

"Yeah you've not." the girls chip in.

"Hmm." Was all we got from Barrister Temitola. Good thing she was a tough lawyer, we could go to jail if not represented well.

"We didn't do any of that. We got followed and threatened." Vicky spilled.

Ugh Vicky, I'm sure Tammy's so proud of you right now.

"So I guess it's reasonable to say the four of you hatched a plan to tighten your loopholes after the murder of..."

Is this our lawyer?

We stare at her as she continues in her fits of laughter.

"You know, you got me on this." she laughs again putting a serious demeanor once more . "So you're saying that my client and her friends are responsible for the murder of the late Mrs Badmus. If I recall correctly same events happened roughly three and two months respectively at different communities. Don't you see this is a trail, you ought to follow it up not blame a couple of teenagers." the spark in her eye was evidence of her silent anger.

"Barrister, my men are working on that and sooner than not we'll have valid facts to work with."

"Valid facts? After your failed theory of terming them murderers?" She shakes her head in disgust as the next words flew from her mouth. "You were never competent."

"Barrister I'd love you to reserve my commendations for my superiors. Not everyone is as vile as you are so you better watch it or I walk you out." Now sitting at the edge of his chair, he filled the air with more tension than before.

We watch as she smiles sweetly not breaking contact for a second. "Continue."
This woman is a tough one.

We go through series of asking and answering and I swear we had no choice than to give somethings up. Things like, everything we each knew.

It's almost fifteen minutes the last question was asked and we're still seated herw,  waiting for what only Heaven knows.

"Bring it in." He calls over the microphone and two minutes later a non uniform lady steps in with a file written STATEMENT

He runs through the file before speaking. "Here is the written version of the testimony which you all gave. All questions and answers has been printed as evidence. Want to go through them?" He stares at us knowing the obvious answer.

"No. Just find them." Esther answers for us.

Barrister Temitola stretches her hand to receive the file, lifting a brow at us for permission.

Carry on, we nod.

She runs through the file, making faces now and then but finally hands it back.
"If that'll be all my clients will be leaving now."

Clients. She'll be representing us all, that's cool.

"That'll be all for now but Nancy is required to stay behind in juvenile detention till all charges against her are cleared." He walks out immediately leaving us...leaving me in shock.

"This can't be, it can't be right?" I look at our lawyer who's not fazed a bit.

"Some things are meant to be." She buttons her suit and walk out on us too.

Some things are just meant to be. Love you.