Meet Joseph Graham Deyes

August 6th, a rainy Thursday, 5:15pm. My emotions were through the roof. I was worried, excited, scared, and happy all at the same time. Sweat was beading at Zoe's forehead and her hand was clasped tightly around mine.

"Push, Zoe! Push." The doctor kept repeating over and over again.

It all happened so fast. The next thing I knew the doctor handed me a newborn baby. The nurses we're wiping him off while I was holding him in my arms.

I cut his umbilical cord and they handed him to Zoe. Who had calmed down and was relaxed. I placed my elbows on the bed and rested my chin in my hands.

He was sleeping soundly, wrapped in Zoe's arms. Zoe had tear stains on her cheeks from happy crying. She looked over to me and smiled. "He's so beautiful." She said, looking at him admiringly.

"Does baby-boy Deyes have a name?" The nurse asked.

Zoe and I had settled on a name very early in the pregnancy. However, we had kept it a secret from family and friends.

"Yes, Joseph Graham Deyes." I said looking at Zoe smiling.

The nurses took hand and footprints and did all the paperwork stuff. Finally they exited and said we could have visitors. "Any request?" I asked Zoe.

My family weren't here from Brighton yet. They would arrive tomorrow. The only people here were Zoe's dad, Joe, and Louise.

A few moments later Zoe looked up at me. "Dad and Joe." She said.

I wiped away a strand of hair that was stuck to her forehead. "You got it." I said holding her face tiny face in my hands.

I opened the door to the waiting room and they all stood up in unison. "She wants Joe and dad." I said. They followed me out and down the hall.

"He may be sleeping." I said opening the door to Zoe's room.

"Hi." Zoe whispered.

Graham walked over and leaned over Zoe. "Oh, he is so precious." Graham exclaimed, taking Joseph from Zoe's tiny arms.

"Hello baby." He said in a baby voice. "Joe come here." Graham said. Joe walked over and smiled at the baby.

"What's his name Zo?" Joe asked.

"Joseph Graham." Zoe replied.

They looked over at Zoe and I in unison. Smiles spread across their faces. "What a perfect name." Joe said.

"I'm honoring the three most important men in my life. Joseph. Graham. And Deyes for Alfie." Zoe said explaining the name.

"It's great Zobo." Graham said.

Joseph slept for the next 45 minutes as Joe and dad stared at him in admiration. Then he woke up and Zoe started feeding him. "We're gonna go get some dinner." Graham said. "Nando's, do you want anything?" He asked.

"Just some mash." Zoe said. "Oh and a sprite."

"Alfie?" Graham asked.

"Just some peri peri chicken and chips." I said. "And a coke please."

"Okay we'll be back soon." Graham and Joe walked over and said by to the baby.

When they left I walked over and sat down beside Zoe on the hospital bed. Joseph was finally awake so we could see who he looked like.

To me he looked just like Zoe. And I'm not complaining at all, Zoe is the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen. He had her big sapphire eyes, small button nose, and lips. He had slightly darker skin than Zoe, and he had dark hair. But other than that, to me, he was a male Zoe.

"Go get Louise!" Zoe exclaimed. I smiled at her and walked down to the waiting room.

Louise stood up and walked over to me. "Hi Lou!" I said wrapping her in a hug. "Ready?" I asked.

"Alfie Deyes. Do you know how long I've been waiting out here." She said. "Of course I'm ready!"

I chuckled and led her back to Zoe's room. As soon as I opened the door she rushed over and wrapped her arms around Zoe. "Chummy!" She said.

She let go of Zoe and turned her attention to Joseph. "Hello sweet boy." She said in a baby voice. "Aren't you just the cutest baby ever. Yes. You look just like your mummy. No offense Alfie."

Zoe and I started laughing and then Graham and Joe walked in with the food. We spent the rest of the night eating food and admiring the newest addition to the Deyes family.

_______________________
xxx