6 | F L A S H B A C K

F L A S H B A C K

F L A S H B A C K

"S H E ' S A H U R R I C A N E"

Solana

"So, about those numbers..." Lauryn looked at me from across the kitchen table, making me put my phone down and sigh. Ever since our plan backfired yesterday, she hasn't stopped trying to get information out of me.

When I came home, she was jumping down my throat about it, so I told her that I'd tell her in the morning. Something told me that I shouldn't have said anything about it cause Lauryn is a little too persistent.

"You knew I was gonna ask, so don't make that face at me." She frowned. "So tell me; cause you told me that you would and I can annoy your ass until you do."

I mugged her and rolled my eyes. "Those numbers are the date that we met." I crossed my arms. "July seventh, two thousand twelve."

I watched her face turn from looking confused to her holding her chest. "Oh my God, if this was a different situation and we all weren't doing the crazy shit that we do now, I could actually say that, that is actually cute of him. So you were seventeen when you both met and he was..."

"Nineteen... pretty much turning twenty."

"And how exactly did you both meet? Cause for as long as we've been working together, you never really talked about it." Lauryn asked, holding her face in her hands with her elbows on the table.

J U L Y 7th, 2012

"If we go in, we're gonna get caught, Solana. You know we don't even look of age— and they do crazy shit here!" Solana's old friend Janiece whined as while they waited outside of the club.

"Girl, just relax, okay? I got this. If they see you constantly complaining and looking like a lost puppy then you're gonna be a dead giveaway." Solana snapped and pulled her best friend into the club line with her.

Solana knew that she wasn't supposed to be here, and her parents would go crazy if they found out. A year ago, her family moved from Chicago to New York for her dads big business move, and they've adjusted to the New York lifestyle pretty well since it was almost similar to that of Chicago. But now, her parents were out of town to visit a family member for the week and they trusted her enough to stay home by herself. Solana wasn't new to living a double life.

In her parents eyes, she was their perfect pride and joy who went to church every Sunday, had perfect grades and gpa all throughout high school, and would soon be going to Howard University to study criminal justice. She never drank, cursed, smoked, or was disobedient. She was their perfect little Solana.