26 | S O N D E R S O N

"W E   W E R E   Y O U N G   A N D  I N   T H I S  W O R L DC H A S I N   D R E A M S   A N D   G I R L SR U N N I N   F R O M   O U R   P R O B L E M S"

"W E W E R E Y O U N G A N D I N T H I S W O R L D
C H A S I N D R E A M S A N D G I R L S
R U N N I N F R O M O U R P R O B L E M S"

S O N D E R S O N

Omniscient

"This is my last time asking you, before your daddy gets home and handles it: what happened to your face, Michael." Donna asked her fourteen; soon to be fifteen year-old son while she attempted to nurse the thick gash on his eyebrow. She alternated between alcohol and a dry cotton pad, while Michael hisses and tried to back his head away, only for her to drop her hands in defeat. "I told you it would hurt." She pursed her lips, unententionally giving life to dimples in her cheeks.

"I told you—" He started, only to get popped on the uncut side of his head.

"Watch your tone before I adjust it."

"Mama, I told you. I was playing basketball and I slipped up— hit my head on a part of the pole that was already beat up." His immature voice followed with another wince as Donna put the thin alcohol pan back onto the wound.

"''Hit my head' my ass." She mumbled. "I swear, you kids think me and your daddy were born yesterday..." Pulling out a bandaid, she carefully placed it over the cut after adding another on, just to secure it. Bakari was thankful that his mom was an actual nurse and knew how to nurse wounds. "Tell me the truth, Michael. I told you, you kids can tell me anything. And y'all know I don't like that lying shit."

He didn't know how to properly tell his mom the truth, without her coming for his head and threatening to send him to thirty different boarding schools, and meet with every religious male figure at their church, to get his head right. Michael tried recycling every lie he had, and even going through the files in his brain, tying to piece together a new one— but, still no use.

His mom knew him, and he knew his mom. He was a mama's boy, and lying to her was seen as the worlds biggest sin to him.

"I'm not lying... not technically."

"And now, the truth comes out." Donna rubbed her temples, waiting for her son to continue.

"I was at the basketball court when I hurt myself, but I just got into a fight over a game. I got mad, and it just happened. I promise." He looked up at her.

"Why didn't you just say that? You know I don't like you kids fighting with anyone— but as long as you got some punches in and won, I'll at least try to look over it." The ever so typical Black parent response came from her lips, making Michael chuckle.