25 | T R I C K S

T R I C K S

T R I C K S

" B R E A K   T H A T   B R E A D   U P
N I G G A
T H A T   B U T T E R   M Y   B I S C U I T . "

Solana

"Has he ever called you out your name?" Dr. Williams asked me while I sat on the opposite couch from her. Her glasses were pushed up on her nose, legs were crossed, and she had a pen in her grip.

"No." I shook my head. It was her third question she's asked about Bakari so far, and I knew she was looking for some type of tea to get to the root of the conversation. "He never did... he knew better than that; believe it or not, he had respect for me."

Dr. Williams nodded her head and took off her glasses. I was here for an hour now, and Isis and Lauryn tricked me into getting one hour and thirty minute appointment... when I could've sworn I signed up only for a fourth-five minute one. But I liked Dr. Williams, so I didn't really mind as much. "So you two, originally, had a healthy relationship?"

"It was healthy by our own terms. What we considered healthy wouldn't really be what others would consider healthy, and we we're fine with that."

Dr. Williams looked at me and gave me a small smirk. "Let's go deeper into your relationship with Michael; shall we?"

I groaned and threw my head back, only for her to laugh at me. "Dr. Williams... I don't wanna talk about that man."

"He plays a part in why we're here now, doesn't he? We won't get too deep. I promise. We'll stay surfaced as we go." She could probably tell by the look on my face that I was still skeptical. Something I learned about Dr. Williams was that she was too good at her damn job. She had a way of wrapping you up in a topic, just to get to the root of it.