23. Relive the Past

6 years ago

Mina was a happy and carefree girl when she was eleven. It was just until her mother decided to sign her up for piano classes that her life took a turn.

It was fun at first, laughing with her mother as the two played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star together. She loved the way her small legs dangled from the way too large stool while her fingers glided through the piano.

It was amazing. 

Was.

But all good things come to an end.

A few months later, Mina's mother's love for the piano turned into an obsession.Every day she made Mina play the piano over and over and over. The tips of her fingers were calloused. She even kept a box of bandaids with her becuase she kept getting paper cuts from flipping the pages of the music book.

Mina's mother had decided to enter her into a piano concert.

•••

" Don't be such a scaredy cat, I know you can do it." Her mom says, shoving her daughter's back into the stage. She was unfamiliar of the scent of wood lingering on stage as the open space filled with the quiet murmurs of voices.

The girl stumbles a bit before regaining her balance. It was her first concert ever and she clearly was not ready, nor mentally prepared.

Standing on top of the stage, unaware of what happens when silence lurks.The harmless spotlights seem hotter now.Her skin feels like it's burning.

The only thing that stands with her is a grand jet- black piano. She turns her head back to the crowds.Her lungs starts to feel like its lost air and crowd mumbles.

She wants to run away, but she sees the judges growing restless.She feels her fingers shaking and everything in her body is pulsing. Her eyes burn from tears ready to fall. She was barely holding up. She was drowning into the depths of the sea it had seemed.

" Mina-ssi?" The person on the mic says, clearing their throat.She couldn't tell where it was coming from. Everything sounded the same.

"Mina-ssi."

"̦͖̪̭̳ ̘̻̞̞M̳̬̤̻̲̗̦í͖̘̞̱̺̲n̛a̹̙̞͖͈̱͕͟.̰̮̞̭̀"̝̀
̦
̭̟̳͉̠͝ ͏̜ ̙̭̲͚̹̝̦ ̙̹̪͉͞ ̛͓ ̢͔̠͓͉̪ ͙̪͕̳̻̮̗͡ ̻̤̯̘̭ ̥̣̞̝̠͞ͅ ̵̖̯͖͙" ̷̜̦̟͙̠̖̜M͜i̺͎͈͚̮̘͖n̕a̬̠̱͖̲̬̘͠.̬͚̼̼̝̖̕"͢ ̧͙
͠ ̖̹͎̺͔̰͜ ̮̣̼͉̬̺͢ ̱̥͍͉̞̼̬
͇̪͖̙ ̷͕͚̳͔͉̜͔ ̮̤͈͚͉̩ͅ ̵̻̼͚͓̩̗ ̪̟̗̀ ̮͚̀ ̤͇̞̺̙͚̩ ̬͈͉̲̻ ̱̗ ̙͕̳ ͅ ̢̠̼̰͉ ̨̦̻̱ͅ ͍̳̺̟̳͙ ҉ ̩͉̳̗̞ ̢̤̻ ̨͔̬̮͖ ̺͎̣̘̱͖ ̷̬ ̢̫͕͖͕͍ͅ"̷̞ ҉̦̠̜̹̘͓M̞i̩̗͉N̻͉̗͓̺̠̭a̬̗̳̙̤͙.̙͎̥͎͔̦"̦̪̰͔̻ ̺̲̜͕̲͟

The little girl feels out of breath as she shakily starts walking backward. She turns her head to see her mother, eyes lethal.The choke hold around her neck was squeezing tighter and her lungs felt trapped. She couldn't breathe.

" Why can't you ever do it right?" she recalled what her mother had said one day when Mina had played.

Her words repeatedly thrashing against her thoughts. The girl took another step back, and then another.

And then—

She ran.

•••

Yoongi stayed quiet as Mina brought up her past.

" So you just left the stage? " he asked afterwards.

" Yeah, I ran to the bathroom crying my eyes out. I was so scared of what my mother do," She murmured.

" I stood in front of hundreds looking like an idiot. Never again. I hated being the center of attention after that."

" And how about your mom? " Yoongi asked.

" She got so upset, she didn't talk to me for at least a month."

" Yeah, like ignoring her daughter would totally make everything okay." He scoffed, rolling his eyes.

" And you know what else? There was this boy who was a prodigy at piano and I told my friends there that I kind of thought he was cool. Those girls took it the wrong way and ended up telling him that I liked him." Mina laughed bitterly at the memories.

" So when I came out if the bathroom to find my mom, he was there. "

" He said, ' I hate untalented ugly girls.' right in my face before leaving." Yoongi could hear Mina's voice cracking and she had noticed quick enough to shut up.

"Tough." He said, shrugging.

" It's not like you suffered as much as I did."

"And this is why I said to you to quit acting like you're only person in this world that's suffering."

" Right, like breaking up with your girlfriend because you fell in love with music is such a cruel punishment."  

" Where did you hear about that?" He glared.

—next next chapter gonna be a bit long