|30|

Tris's POV

Despite my dislike for coffee, I was very close to drinking it by the time Sunday morning came around. The night dragged on, but as morning peaks I hope to make some headway in the case today. Tobias and I called in Wesley's two older brothers to speak with, and they should be arriving in a little while.

"How are you holding up?" Tobias asks me as I turn to see him walking towards me. His shirt is slightly rumpled, and he's tilting his head from side to side. I can hear the faint cracks in his neck as he does so.

"The same as you are." I tell him with a soft smile.

"We have some time before the brothers get here, let's go rest for a few minutes." Tobias offers, and I take him up on it without hesitation.

We walk to one of the back rooms, down the same hallway as the interrogation rooms. It's a small room when we open up the door, one used for long all-nighters like this one. There's a fridge and small table, a couch in the corner and a fold out cot if one needed a short cat nap. Which I wouldn't hate at the present moment.

Tobias drops down onto the far side of the couch, my feet guiding me over after him. He releases a loud breath just as I sit down myself. Raking a hand through his messy brown curls, he looks drained. Just like me.

"I can't wait till we close this case and we can go home."

I nod, agreeing with him and smile softly when his hand naturally finds my thigh. It's as if it's part of some routine now, but I am in no way complaining.

"Speaking of..." Tobias trails off, tilting his head to the side to look over at me, with an eyebrow raised.

"Have you thought about it?"

My lips curl into a faint smirk, "I can't imagine I've had much time to do so."

I'm not lying, I really haven't had much time to consider his proposition.

"I know," Tobias sighs, and with the hand not resting warmly on my leg, he play with a loose string hanging from a rip on the knee of his jeans. "I'm just anxious, that's all."

"I know," I tell him. "And I don't like keeping you waiting when it's something that creates nerves or unnecessary stress. I'm just,"

Shaking my head, I'm not sure how I want to word what I want to say. "I just have some concerns, or some trepidation in the whole thing."

"About me?"

Tobias's voice sounds so soft just then, and looking over at his face it's like a puppy took his place.

"No," I say, assuring him. "Nothing about you. I love you and I want to be with you, I just... it's a big step."

"I told myself not to ask you this soon." Tobias says, and I hear him sigh under his breath.

"Why?" I ask, placing my hand over his that warms my leg.

"Because I didn't want to scare you off," Tobias smiles sheepishly up at me.

"You didn't scare me off Tobias," I reassure him, and will do so as many time as he needs. I'm not going anywhere. "I'm not saying yes, but I'm not saying no either. I'm saying I don't know."

Tobias nods, still looking at me as I look at him. Swallowing a deep breath, I speak up again. "What if, I kept a few things at your place?"

The edge of Tobias's lips twitch, and I see the shadow of a smile upon those beautiful full lips of his. "Besides the things cluttering my bathroom already?"

Knowing he's teasing, I push him with my shoulder, and he lets out a laugh. "You know what I mean. I could stay more often, but still keep my own place for the time we need some space."