|32|

Tris's POV

Killer. That single description sends a shiver down my spine, and it's the one word I would never think of when I think of Tobias Eaton.

"What is going on Zeke?" I ask, and turning to look at him I'm waiting for this whole thing to turn out to be a very unfunny prank. A cold and cruel practical joke. But by the look on Zeke's face, I know I'll be waiting for the punch line for a very long time.

"You and I both know that Tobias couldn't kill anyone, he's no killer." I say shaking my head.

Zeke sighs, his eyes shutting for a moment and I can see that all of this pains him. He's Tobias's best friend, why wouldn't it hurt him?

"The victim wasn't just anyone Tris," Zeke opens his eyes, and looks up to meet my awaiting and nervous gaze. "It was Tobias's father, Marcus Eaton."

My eyes widen, and my heart sinks further down inside. Tobias Eaton is no cold blooded killer. But his father... that would be the one person on this green Earth that he could willingly rid himself and the world of if given the chance. Which makes this situation a hell of a lot worse.

"His father?" My voice croaks in disbelief.

Zeke nods solemnly, "He was found in the basement of his home. Three stab wounds. One in the back, another in the chest and once more straight in the heart."

My eyes shut, as my whole body trembles. "And he was there? We're sure Tobias was there?"

"He was there with the other suspect when officers arrived. The knife was found in his hand, and his hands were covered in blood from the victim. They still are." Zeke explains, and mumbles the last part lowly.

"Who was the other suspect?" I ask, realizing Zeke hasn't told me.

Zeke stares at me for a moment, chewing on his bottom lip before finally answering me. He acts as if he doesn't want to tell me, but soon he gives in and lets the name slip from his lips. "Evelyn Johnson- Eaton."

Tobias's mother. His mother was there with him. My head spins as I reach for the wall to steady myself.

"Maybe you should sit down Tr--"

"Can I see him?" I ask, cutting Zeke off.

Turning my gaze to the right, I look at Tobias again. And all I need right now is to get in there and talk to him. See him up close, and get to the bottom of all of this. Because I know that he isn't guilty of this, I know it.

"Captain said none of us were allowed to go in, he's getting arraigned in the morning Tris."

"Please Zeke," I plead, tears blurring my vision as I shift my gaze from my withering Tobias to his best friend. "I just need to talk to him for one minute, please."

I can see Zeke weighing his options, its clear on his face. But I stand there with tears burning my eyes as my heart pounds in my chest and echoes in my ears.

"One minute." Zeke caves, and steps forward to open the door.

"Thank you." I whisper, and quietly he twists the doorknob and I hurry inside before he shuts it behind me.

Tobias's head is faced downward, where he stares at his feet. But the moment Zeke shuts the door for me, his head snaps up. And spotting me frozen near the doorway, his eyes widen.

"Tris," His voice is low and raspy. One not his own, and I bite my lip in effort to keep my tears at bay. I'm on borrowed time here, I can cry later I tell myself.

"What are you doing here?" He asks, and I walk towards him.

The room feels cold and suffocating as the situation crushes us both like a boulder, and I pull out the chair across from him. What am I doing here? What kind of question is that to ask me right now. Where else would I be?