|35|

Tobias's POV

Two Weeks Earlier

It's remarkable how the person you love, staying the night, can impact you so deeply. This house I've lived in for years, it was nothing more than a place to hang my hat at the end of the day. A roof and four walls to keep me safe and secure. A house... but never quite a home. Yet, as I stand in the threshold looking into the dark bedroom, its never seemed brighter.

The moon light shines in through strips as the curtains covering the windows blow to and fro softly, the light landing against her pale but beautiful skin. Her honey blonde hair lays spread out against the pillow, and by morning the pillow case will smell of her jasmine shampoo. Her silvery blue eyes are shut tightly but I can see the way her eyelashes flutter, and I know right now she's deep in slumber. Far into a dreamland, a place I can only imagine. It brings the faintest of smiles to my lips though, thinking of my girl dreaming. I wonder sometimes, on late nights like these, if she ever dreams of me.

The buzz of my cellphone against my dresser pulls my gaze away from Tris's sleeping frame, and moving swiftly into the room I grab my phone before it has the chance to wake her. Taking it with me, I exit the room and head downstairs to the kitchen I was just in minutes ago for a glass of water.

"Hello?" I answer, not checking the caller ID as I wanted to leave before it woke her up.

"Tobias," The voice I recognize as my mother's trembles.

"Evelyn, is something wrong?" I ask her as I can hear the distress on the other side of the line.

"He's dead! He's dead! He, oh god--"

Her voice shakes and I feel my heart begin to pick up pace. Gripping the counter top, I try to get her to slow down and explain to me more clearly what is going on. "Evelyn, slow down. Who's dead?"

"Marcus, your father. He's dead."

The vague image I had in my mind of what may be going on is quickly wiped away, and replaced with an image far worse.

"What do you mean he's dead?" I ask, wondering if I had heard her correctly through her muttering and tears. "Evelyn, where are you?"

"I'm here, at his house." She chokes out and shutting my eyes I release a sigh. This is getting worse with each passing second, I think to myself.

"Are you hurt?"

I can hear her let out a shaky breath, but she responds with, "No. I'm fine, but he's--"

"Evelyn," I say with another deep sigh, as I release the countertop after my knuckles began to turn white from the pressure. "Stay where you are. I'll be there as soon as I can."

Hanging up, I rake a hand through my hair as my heart rate must be through the roof. Gripping my phone, I head back upstairs to change into my jeans and grab my shoes. Quietly, I enter the bedroom and dress swiftly. Keeping the grey t-shirt I had on to sleep in, and throw on the jeans I wore earlier that day and some easy shoes that take me barely any time to slide on.

Walking out of my closet, I wander over to the bed and sit down as softly as I can on the edge of the mattress. Looking down at her, I'm happy to find her just as peaceful as she was before. I hadn't woken her up, that I'm thankful for. And as I watch her for a short moment more, I know I want to get all of this sorted out as fast as I can, so that I can come back to bed and hold her close before morning breaks.

Bending down, I gently press a feather like kiss to her cheek. "I'll be home soon."

Getting up I walk to the door quickly, but with one last glance back at Tris, I realize something. With her here and with me, this house I live in finally feels like a home.