eight

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
.
December 14th
3:35 AM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

As he pushed her onto the bed, Audrey felt as though she was drowning in his grasp. His hands were rough and demanding, tugging at her clothes and leaving bruises in their wake. She tried to resist, to push him away, but he was stronger than her and she was powerless to stop him.

The room was dark, lit only by the faint glow of a streetlamp outside. Audrey could hear the sound of cars passing by, and the distant hum of voices in the night. She felt exposed, vulnerable, as Michael stripped her of her clothes and took what he wanted from her. She tried to shut her eyes, to block out the sensation of his touch, but it was no use. He was everywhere, overwhelming her with his presence.

She could feel his lips on her neck, his breath hot against her skin. It made her feel sick to her stomach, but she couldn't escape.When it was finally over, when he had finished with her, Audrey lay there, feeling empty and broken. She wanted to cry, to scream, but she was too numb to do anything. All she could think about was how she had let this happen, how she had allowed herself to be used in this way.

Michael shamelessly watched her wear the rest of her clothing.

Whereas she withered under his stare, he was happy, beaming because of the way the night turned out.

"Can you stop staring at me?" she asked and pulled the last article of clothing over her body, the fabric providing a barrier from his prying eyes.

The alarm clock at his bedside flashed 3:35 in bold red and worry for her daughter began ebbing at her.

"Easy money comes with things like this." The sheets behind her rustled, peaking her misery. "It's just a suggestion. No one's forcing you to do anything. You're just one of many women out here, struggling to make ends meet. Why not make use of what you've got? Your pretty face and body can get you far in life, and my friend can help you with that. Think about it, doll. Easy money, and you don't have to worry about paying rent or anything else ever again."

Audrey's heart rate accelerated as she attempted to control her breathing. "I don't want to be pimped out, Michael. I'd never be that kind of girl."

"You never know, Audrey. Most people like to believe they wouldn't do shit like that," Michael's voice held a distant quality, one she'd never heard. It was as if he were too afraid to speak. "But you do what you can to survive. Plus you've got that kid to think about."

Her eyes glimmered with hot tears and the world felt like it was crumbling around her. She hugged herself, her chest heaving up and down. One word would be enough to set her over the sharp edge she was treading on.

"Why the tears?" he asked, his hands sending a jolt down her spine as he caressed her back. She didn't want to stop him for fear that he might change his mind about the rest she owed.

"I just cheated on my boyfriend."

"You didn't cheat on him, Audrey. You're helping your family out. Honestly, how did a girl like you end up with a deadbeat like him? You're so...innocent, y'know. And he's just taking advantage of you. If I were him, I'd do anything to make you happy."