seventy eight

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
April 6th
1:45 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Audrey managed to convince Gunner to join her and Aiden for lunch.

This was the first time in years that she'd be meeting her brother, and hell, she was a wreck. She hadn't been able to stop twisting the wedding ring on her finger since they arrived at the restaurant and while her husband tried to soothe her nerves, couldn't concentrate on one thing. Her mind was a blizzard of half-formed thoughts, carrying her in every direction.

What would he look like? Would he back out last minute? Was he even going to show up? Would he like Gunner and their daughter?

It felt like introducing her husband to her parents for the first time again. In the past it went horribly wrong; she didn't want a repeat of that night.

Audrey put a reasonable amount of effort into her presentation and she forced Gunner to try and make a good impression. She chose to wear the lavender mini-dress she dug out at the back of her closet, white slip-on sneakers on her feet and her hair pulled out of her face in a ponytail. It had been a while since she wore anything other than hoodies and jeans. Fashion hadn't been at the forefront of her mind for years now, but it felt good to dress up for once.

Gunner settled on jeans and a white button-up shirt he didn't bother to tuck in, pairing it with  his usual converse. He didn't believe her brother had to be impressed. In fact, he made doing her this favour come across as a chore from the way he sulked in his seat.

Leah hadn't a clue what or who they were meeting, but at least her bubbly personality broke the tension between the family.

"You need to stop overthinking," Gunner's voice drew her out of her thoughts. "You'll be fine. It's just your brother."

"It's been years."

He scanned the menu, releasing a flitting sigh. "Nothing to worry about, baby. Just stay calm."

"You could try to act a little more supportive."

"I don't exactly support you seeing him again."

"Gunner," she groaned and slapped his arm. "Be nice."

He absentmindedly toyed with the new silver lip ring at the left side of his lower lip. She recalled how giddy he was when he came home with a new piercing, smiling and giggling like his six-year-old daughter. On the same day, he had gotten a vertical eyebrow piercing too, along with a couple other tattoos he had been ecstatic to show her. His chest was a canvas that was almost completely covered, and sooner or later, he'd add more to his back. He was lucky that he was able to pull it off else Audrey would have been the first one to dissuade him from getting them. The lengthy blonde hair and tats tied his whole look together.

He was happy with his appearance though, and that was all Audrey cared about. Besides, Leah couldn't get enough of his new look, promising that once she was old enough, she'd get a few to match her father.

"Yeah, yeah," he stole a kiss from her downturned lips, "I'll try to be civil."

Seeing as that was the best she would get, she nodded. "You see something you want, Leah?" she asked her daughter.