forty nine

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
January 31st
9:21 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

"Okay, you two, it's time for bed. You've been up for way too long," Tucker announced, his tone firm but gentle.

"But, daddy... it's not even that late," Cory protested, pouting as he flopped down on the bed, sandwiched between Leah and Cody. "Just five more minutes, please."

Tucker shook his head, motioning for his boys to come to the door. "Both of you, up, let's go."

"Can't we all stay here?" Cody pleaded, a blush spreading across his freckle-spotted cheeks. "Just for today?"

Tucker exchanged a playful glance with Audrey, who was seated on the second bed, causing her to shy away bashfully. A flurry of emotions stirred in her stomach, intensifying the crimson hue creeping across her skin.

"We have our own room for a reason," he countered firmly. "You guys are probably giving Leah a headache. Let her have some space."

At the mention of her name, Leah frowned and scoffed, pointedly turning away from Tucker. Her growing dislike for him fueled a surge of anger in her tiny heart with each passing day. Audrey hadn't yet told her about taking the next step with Tucker, and she couldn't shake the feeling that her own happiness was making others unhappy. She struggled to find a balance and uplift Leah's spirits, but she was at a loss.

Breaking up with Tucker wasn't an option.

"I'm gonna go put them to bed," Tucker said, shooting Audrey a probing look, causing her to cast her eyes to the floor. "I'll be back."

"There's no rush. Take your time," Audrey replied softly.

Cody, looking bashful, stared down at his sock-covered feet. "Goodnight, Miss. Goodnight, Leah."

Cory grabbed his father's hand and sighed. "Goodnight..."

"I know you like Leah," his brother blurted out, his eyes sparkling with childish mischief. Though timid, he knew exactly what would irk his brother. It just so happened that his juvenile heart had a soft spot for her. "You're gonna catch cooties."

"Am not!" he retorted, a vivid red blush creeping up his neck and staining his cheeks and ears. "It's okay." He hesitantly gazed at Leah. "I don't think you have cooties. Cody's just stupid."

"Oh... o-okay," Leah murmured and pulled the covers up to her chin. "'Night, guys."

Cody huffed, a pout on his lips. "Can we go back to our room now?"

"You two are a handful." Tucker securely held both their hands. "Come on, out we go."

Cody opened the door, clad in rumpled blue pajamas, and they walked out of Audrey's room, leaving behind an immediate silence that filled the space between mother and daughter, thick with tension. Audrey glanced up at the ceiling, while Leah fixed her gaze on the wall ahead, both trying to ignore the complex emotions swirling between them.

"I guess it's time for you to go to bed as well," Audrey said, rising from the bed and crossing over to Leah's side. She sat down on the edge, her hands clasped in her lap, sensing her daughter's reluctance for affection. "Goodnight, princess."