twenty one

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
December 31st
10:54 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Gunner tore through his bedroom in search of the missing engagement ring he had hidden in the bedside drawer. 

This room wasn't the only place he trashed; the living room, bathroom and kitchen were an absolute atrocity. A hurricane might as well have blown through the apartment.

The only room he left untouched was Leah's, and for the sake of keeping her memory untainted, Gunner couldn't bring himself to touch a single item inside. He didn't feel worthy enough to be a part of his daughter's life. What Audrey said was nothing short of the truth: he needed to disappear for good.

Fucking think, Gunner! Where did you put it?

It wasn't like he planned on proposing anytime soon since his girlfriend wanted no part of him and his daughter was in foster care. If he stopped taking drugs, then what? Audrey wouldn't care; she'd probably take Leah and go back to her parents. He'd stay with Ace until he overdosed or went to jail, whichever came first.

Gunner stumbled into the living room, kicking aside couch cushions before dropping to his knees. He crawled forward and his eyes roamed the floor for the velvet box, the glinting of a jewel, anything.

There was no trace of it. His last memento vanished.

He sat where he was and lay flat on the cold floor. His eyes stung and he had expended the last bit of tears two days ago, but it always felt like more were coming. They never did though. Sometimes there seemed to be no words to describe his profound sadness.

It was a soft knock at the door that brought him back to the present. Gunner stood up, wincing in pain as the sharp shard of glass dug into the soft skin of his foot. He crouched and carefully picked it out from where it was lodged, throwing the shard back into the mess and got up again. He hopped towards the door, feeling a trickle of blood oozing out of the wound. 

The knock sounded again, urgent and insistent. 

Gunner opened the door, expecting Michael to yap on about rent or for Mrs. Shapiro to ask about her beloved Leah like she had been for the past few weeks. 

His eyes must have been betraying him. He had snorted a line of cocaine about twenty minutes ago, so it had to be the only explanation for Audrey's appearance. His heart pounded in his chest and he felt an odd mix of emotions--surprise, confusion, hope, and fear all at once. He stood there in silence for a moment, just staring at her, trying to take in the sight of her. 

Finally, he found his voice and managed to speak. "What are you doing here, Audrey?"

Audrey's black hair fell haphazardly around her pale face. Her usually sparkling hazel eyes were now dull and bloodshot, evidence of the exhaustion that seemed to seep into her very bones. But there was a determined look in her eyes, a quiet strength that seemed to say she had been through the worst and come out the other side.

"Why are you here?" he continued his harsh interrogation. "What else do you want from me? What else can I possibly do for you?"

"I came here to make sure you didn't..." She let the unfinished sentence hang between them.