sixty four

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
February 24th
1:13 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Gunner stared at his phone screen for the umpteenth time since arriving at the courthouse.

From the minute he woke up this morning, each second felt like a countdown to this very moment. He recalled the events in sequential order, beginning with hearing the alarm he had set blaring at exactly 7:00 AM, awakening both him and Audrey out of their deep slumber; an hour later, Leah was clean, fed and dressed for school, and Audrey had finished the task of dropping her off; when she returned, Gunner sat down with her to get some food into his system, but they purposely dodged the elephant in the room–their wedding at the courthouse.

Whenever Gunner so much as glimpsed the engagement ring on Audrey's finger, anxiousness rolled through his stomach like a ship on a wave. In a couple hours, she'd be his wife. Audrey Shaw. Audrey fucking Shaw, and he still had difficulty processing it. Not that he was regretting his decision (this was the best day of his life), but he couldn't help his nerves. They were taking a huge step together, one he couldn't afford to screw up, so it'd be bizarre if he weren't nervous at all, actually.

In the past five minutes, Gunner checked the time twice, tugged on the collar of his white long-sleeved shirt, tousled his blonde hair because of how consistently he raked his fingers through it, and mentally recited the vows he was going to say. He had written them down on a scrap piece of paper in case his memory failed him, which he prayed wouldn't happen.

While he held their position in line, reread the service number. Thankfully, the line wasn't too long today, and to pass time, he watched various couples in their posh suits and dresses, kisses and laughter and exchanges of love being made. This definitely had to be the happiest place in the entire city of New York. It was a stark contrast to the rest of the corrupt neighbourhoods and heinous crimes–some of which Gunner committed.

"I'm here." The sudden recognition of Audrey's voice drew his point of interest to her jubilant face, flushed from either exhilaration or what appeared to be the running she did. "I got the marriage license and Penelope said she was okay with being our witness, even though she went on about how last minute this was."

"Where is she?"

"Having a quick smoke outside. She'll be here soon."

"Okay," Gunner's relieved sigh diffused between them. "For a second I started to think you weren't gonna show up."

"Don't be silly. I'd never stand you up." Where Audrey kissed his cheeks left his skin red with delight. "You look really handsome, by the way. I love the new haircut."

He self-consciously patted down his hair and readjusted his collar again, clearing his throat, "thanks, you look really beautiful today too. I-I mean, you look beautiful e-everyday but, y'know, you're s-so pretty–I mean gorgeous–and I, um, I don't know w-what I'm trying to say..."

By the end of his rambling, their faces were blushing wild shades of crimson. Complimenting his fiancé (not for long) hadn't been this tough. Now it felt like he didn't even have the right words to get his emotions across.