fifty four

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
February 5th
11:10 AM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Audrey was startled awake.

No drowsiness, no slow recollection of the night before–only a vacant feeling in the depths of her body and her own noisy breath grating in her throat. Clearing sleep out of her eyes, she squinted at the bright rays of sun that shone through the curtains. She eased up on the mattress, the rumpled sheets tangled around her arms and legs. Her right side was empty and the room was otherwise silent.

The hours before elapsed in fragmented pieces, but the bigger picture was vague. Audrey lifted a hand and touched her cheek, flinching as she grazed the fresh bruise blossoming on her skin. She remembered Tucker in his fit of rage, could feel his hands crushing her esophagus and hear his brutish voice.

But Gunner was the most conspicuous face amongst her memory. She wouldn't ever forget the regret in his eyes, the sorrow in his steps as he walked away from his family for the last time. She lost something yesterday. He took her heart with him and it was too late to ask for it back.

Audrey's entire body protested as she threw her legs over the edge of the bed. Everything ached and she moved sluggishly, like her limbs didn't belong to her. It was a wonder why she bothered hauling herself out of bed when there was nothing and nobody to look forward to. Her days had become the same song on repeat, and she was accustomed to performing the same routine.

She blinked rapidly, steadying her swaying body and staggering to the wherever she could hide from the world. Head spinning, throat dry and each step feeling than the last, Audrey made it halfway across the room before the front door was pushed open, taking her unawares.

"You're awake," Tucker ambled inside and blocked her only other egress. She was congested with chagrin; some optimistic part of her expected Gunner to step into the room. "I let you sleep in today. You looked really tired."

Audrey's breathing fell into its normal rhythm. "What time is it?"

"Ten after eleven," he answered. "I already dropped the kids off at school this morning, so no worries."

I didn't get to say goodbye to Leah. Her daughter was probably thinking all sorts of things, and she speculated on what sort of lie Tucker must have told her daughter to convince her to trust him. Needless to say, he had a natural talent for deceit, and she fell for every single one of his guileful words–he made them sound so sincere.

It was hard to tell them apart from the truth, such as in this moment. Could she trust his kind smile? Was it another ploy on her heart? Perhaps he was wearing her out, waiting to strike. His eyes certainly didn't say so. They were glistening yet holding on to secrets untold.

"Was Leah okay?"

Tucker unbuttoned his coat and tossed on the single armchair. "She was fine, baby." He walked by, though not without planting a soppy kiss on her cheek. "She's a nice kid."

Lazily kicking off his shoes, Tucker crawled into the unmade bed. "We can go out for some breakfast once you're finished getting ready."

"Okay..."

His gaze was hooked on her and swirled with too many emotions to count, and if she looked closely enough, saw figments of the man she wanted and who wanted her. The scintillated between his two selves, one that could hurt and one that could heal. Brown hair draped around his rugged features, he looked boyish, like a young Romeo.