seventy nine

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
April 8th
8:21 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

"That's the one?"

"That's the one."

Gunner made his selection for his upcoming rehab program and he had settled on a sixty-day treatment. He'd undergo behavioural and medical therapy, detox, and counselling. Audrey suggested he go for the ninety-day treatment, but he insisted on coming home before he missed a major milestone in her pregnancy.

In three days, her husband would be off to a rehabilitation facility and far away from home. They were going to spend two months apart with occasional visits, so she would surely miss having her other half around, and Leah was definitely going to long for her father. They were yet to break the news to her, but they planned on telling her tonight before putting her to bed.

"60 days is such a long time," Audrey switched off her cellphone and placed it on the bedside table. "What am I supposed to do without you, Gun?"

"I'll be home before you know it, baby. This will be good for us." Gunner threw his legs over the edge of the bed and stood. She followed suit, gazing closely at him, a hole already expanding in her heart. She envisioned everything she was going to miss about her husband.

"And there's one more thing, Rey."

"What is it?"

"You should go to that focus group I told you about," he suggested. His expression was carved in seriousness. "You're keeping too much inside and it's been going on for a long time. Go...talk to people. Get it off your chest."

"I don't need a focus group—"

"That's what I said about not needing rehab and you kept pushing." Gunner's hands caressed her shoulders. "So, now, I'm pushing. I want you to go out and listen to people who understand what it's like to have the same experiences."

Audrey sighed, "I'm not comfortable doing that, Gun. Plus I'll be the only one looking after Leah till you get back and..."

"Excuses," he stated. "There's no room for that."

"But—"

"I want to come back in 60 days and see a difference. No brooding. No self-pity. No stress. No thoughts about Michael or Tucker, either. Work it out in that smart brain of yours and become that snobby, annoying, adorable, passionate, rich girl I met six years ago. Get rid of this tired Audrey Shaw and be the carefree girl I know."

Audrey saw the look of hope and optimism on his face, and she decided that she was ready to try harder for her husband, the same way he tried for her.

"But I just don't feel like I need to talk about it."

He didn't say anything but took her hand. "It still hurts, doesn't it?"

"Yeah," she nodded, "I don't think it's so easy to get over. But I'm trying."

"I know you are. I've seen how much better you've gotten. It takes time, okay? Don't think I want you to forget it ever happened, but just know it doesn't define you. You define yourself, beautiful."