twenty five

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
January 2nd
1:12 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Audrey made her way down the orphanage's familiar hall, hurrying to visit Leah.

She would have preferred it if Gunner joined her, but he had left the apartment after she fell asleep with nothing except a note to explain his whereabouts. Audrey didn't expect anything different from him, but as a father, she hoped he might have wanted to see his daughter.

At least was out there making them money. Her job was nonexistent and being occupied with Leah and their CPS case was putting enough strain on her. Getting a legal job could wait; right now, Leah and the baby were her main priority.

Audrey walked through that door like she had many times, heading toward the table at the end of the room, already aglow with a smile when her gaze locked on Leah.

Audrey couldn't help but notice how normal her daughter looked. How kempt and clean and healthy she appeared after a few weeks away from the toxic environment she called home. She was being cared for here, and there were moments when she was grateful that her daughter was being looked after and fed.

"Mommy, you're back!" Leah ran to meet her across the room. Today was busier than it usually was. She suspected that everybody wanted to see their kids after the new year.

"I'm back, Leah."

Audrey crouched and opened her arms, Leah jumping into her embrace and clinging to her jacket. The two hugged each other as if this were the last day they would ever be together. And because of their issues with CPS and the court, Audrey prepared herself for a final goodbye every time she visited, remembering that she might permanently lose Leah to the system.

"I love what you did with your hair," she said, weaving her slim fingers through the sable hair that hung straight to her shoulders. "Who cut it for you? One of the older girls?"

Leah nodded curtly into Audrey's chest, her tiny hands gripping the back of her jacket. "They said my hair was too long, and the older lady, Mrs. May, told them to cut it. I didn't want to because it looked like yours," she sighed and peered up at her mother, her eyes forming a glossy layer of tears. "You're so pretty, mommy."

"You think so? Maybe I should cut my hair so we can match."

Her daughter shook her head intently before clasping her small hand around a lock of Audrey's hair, which touched her lower back.

"Mrs. May told me... she said another mommy and daddy want me. They live far away from here, but they come to visit me all the time."

Audrey's eyes widened in shock as her heart raced inside her chest like a thousand galloping horses. She was frozen in place, unable to move or even to breathe, paralyzed by her confusion and disbelief. Her body was tense and rigid, every nerve ending alive and thrumming with a strange, electric energy.

"What're you talking about, princess?"

Her knees buckled beneath her, and sat on the carpeted floor and pulled Leah to her lap, hands framing the sides of her dainty face, awaiting an answer.

"When do they come? All the time? Everyday? Tell me, Leah. Please, I have to know."

"I'm not supposed to talk about it, mommy." Leah's cheeks pinked, and Audrey could feel the dead weight of her fear crushing her bones. "Mrs. May is going to be mad at me."

"I won't tell her," Audrey insisted, her mouth barely able to form coherent words. "It'll be our little secret, baby. C'mon, you know I love you. I love you so much. I have to know because... because... Leah, I'm so scared that they're gonna take you away from me."