sixty nine

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
March 10th
8:23 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Gunner was leaving for Los Angeles the next day.

Amidst the limited moments they had left together, Audrey cherished every second she spent with her beloved husband. Yet, despite the endless conversations they shared and the memories they made, none of it could ever replace the heartache that was soon to come. They had so much left unsaid, so many days they wanted to spend together, so many kisses they yearned to share, and so many nights they wanted to hold each other close.

Through it all, her husband remained a constant source of comfort and support, handling her with utmost gentleness and kindness. Every moment he spent with her was precious, and he never let an opportunity pass without reminding her of his unwavering love. 

Audrey could see the sadness in his eyes, the uncertainty that plagued him, but she knew that he was doing everything in his power to make her feel loved and cherished. Her husband's promises of a speedy return home sometimes sounded hollow, as if even he didn't believe them. She tried to hold onto hope though, to believe that they would be together again soon, but the fear and uncertainty loomed over her like a dark cloud.

They had gone on that date he promised her. The Met was a beautiful place full of beautiful people. They could be the people they were before their lives had spiralled sideways. The newlywed couple blended in with the rest of the city residents and Audrey wasn't thinking about the judgmental eyes of passersby. Gunner was the only person who mattered. They were themselves without the burden of what awaited them back in the apartment.

Everything had run by so quickly though.

And what a grim day to discover she was pregnant. She was starting to wish their attempts for a baby didn't work.

Not that the pregnancy was dreadful, but that if luck didn't favour her husband, she'd be left alone to raise his two children. How would she manage it? How would she begin to explain to Leah (and her unborn son or daughter) that Gunner wouldn't be coming back? How would she come to terms with it herself? The life they worked for would go to naught and by the end, it would all prove useless.

Audrey clutched the pregnancy test in a trembling hand and stood up from the cold floor in spite of how heavy her legs felt. Checking her reflection one last time in the mirror, she walked out of the bathroom and followed the sound of Gunner and Leah's laughter erupting in the living area.

Their daughter was sitting in his lap, pointing to the tattoos displayed on his exposed chest and abdomen. She had taken a liking to ask him for some elaborate backstories about the ink on his body. Not that all of them were significant, but a good few were. Most were the result of drunken adventures.

"I can't remember when I got this one." He gestured at the Roman numerals inscribed below his ribcage. "I think it was the day I left home."

"But this is home. You didn't go anywhere."

"I mean my old home. Where my parents and sister are."

"Oh..." Leah drifted in and out of sleep. "Can you tell me a mommy story?"

"Maybe tomorrow, princess. I think it's time for you to get some shut-eye." He pecked her forehead.

"No, I wanna stay awake!" she declared but rubbed her eye as sleep came upon her. "I'm not tired."

"You're already half-asleep"

"I'm not. I'm awake."

Audrey couldn't figure out how long she'd been talking to her father. By the looks of her drowsy face, it had to have been enough time to tire her small body out. Her head lolled onto Gunner's shoulder and her eyes slipped shut. The rest of her body went limp in his arms.