fifty eight

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
February 8th
6:21 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Times Square was far more glamorous in the evening as opposed to the morning.

The silhouette of the skyline raced in violet and orange ribbons across the city, lights shimmering like space on earth. Splashes of colour-stained grey and black buildings, billboards lofted above ground, and roads were monochromatic, flooded by masses of pedestrians. Noises arose from every corner of the square; the clicking of heels, the rolling of skateboards, the thudding of boots, the honking of cars and the screeching of tires.

Gunner felt lost in its illustrious inception. He couldn't possibly take in each person and sound as they moved about and roared in his ears. But that was the thrill of the city. Past, present and future projected themselves onto his eyes and played like a movie clip in the background of his mind.

This was why he adored New York. Sure, he picked up sleazy habits on its streets, but they conveyed beauty in their own forms.

He lay hold of his daughter's hand as they stood amid the core of their city.

She quickly licked her ice cream that had dangerously begun sliding to one side of the waffle cone she gripped. Her fervid eyes explored hundreds of faces and signs, following yellow-painted taxis and sleek vehicles as they sped down the road. Her lips unconsciously smiled and she continued enjoying her sugary treat.

"Wanna go find somewhere to sit?" Gunner looked at his daughter, who was too busy marvelling at her surroundings. "Beats standing out here all night."

"Mhm, okay." She swung their held hands back and forth and her gaze never left the busy street. "My legs are kinda tired."

In her daze, a drop of strawberry dripped onto her purple jacket. "Pay attention, princess. You're getting your ice cream everywhere."

Stooping down, he dug into his pocket for a tissue and wiped the stain. Then her mouth, which was smudged with ice cream. Leah grinned shyly at him, "sorry, daddy."

He playfully pinched her nose, and she laughed. "Don't worry about it. You want to finish it?"

"No," she said, stretching her hand out for Gunner to take the ice cream cone. "I'm full. Too much ice cream for my tummy."

He wasn't craving ice cream, especially not in this weather. He bought it for her on the promise that she'd finish every last bit of it. He should have ordered a small, not medium. Barely halfway through and she was already tired of her strawberry dessert.

Gunner counted himself lucky that he had cash in the first place; Ace's money had finally come in handy for something other than weed and cocaine. He carried at least three hundred dollars in his pocket and he would spend it on his daughter rather than buy a new high.