fifty five

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
February 7th
5:32 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Was Gunner foolish for knocking on Audrey's door?

Maybe he was.

He had been so adamant to cause her as much pain as she had caused him, but came crawling back all because he was swelling with hope again. A dangerous inclination of his. And for that, his suffering would double.

The shelter was barren as usual, only the occasional passerby drifting in and out of their rooms. Compared to his last visit, the weather wasn't unbearable; the winter air was missing its scathing sting. As the months progressed, it would only get better. Thankfully so because Gunner was tired of the season. He wanted a little more sunshine and heat. Winter had a negative connotation, especially with the crap he'd put his family through, and he needed to start anew.

He tapped his knuckles against the door for a second time. He was too eager for his own good. What if Audrey strictly meant visiting Leah? She didn't call him because she had a sudden epiphany, that was too good to be true. He himself had put an end to his feelings, but being here was stoking the last embers.

The door didn't open slowly. In haste, it was pulled, grinding on its hinges. Gunner was greeted by an empty view of the room. His heart must have felt the tug before his brain did because his eyes darted lower, and around his waist were a pair of slender arms.

Eyes of soft brown mingled with green stared up at him. Their connection was barely thriving but in this second, a message had been sent. One shared glance and Gunner dropped to his knees and hugged her, unsure of whether the drugs were playing tricks in his head.

His daughter, his Leah, pressed into every bit of him. For the first time he felt it; it was warm and firm, a sure answer. His worries drifted off in the light breeze and there was his growing hope again. He had the look of contentment on his face, and here he had everything he could ever want.

"I'm so happy to see you, princess. I missed you." His fingers gently brushed her hair and he kissed her forehead.

"I thought you'd never come back," she said, flinging herself back into his arms. They stayed like that for the minutes to come, glad to be with one another.

"I'm sorry for being gone so long," Gunner whispered. "But I'm here now, that's all that matters."

Only when they heard someone clear their throat did the two separate. He stood up and clasped her hand tightly.

"I didn't think you'd show up after what happened," Audrey was irritable, shifting from foot to foot, eyes darting in every direction. "But thanks for coming back."

"She's still my daughter. I'd never leave her."

Beautiful was such a cliché word to define her, and too bad he hadn't gotten through school else there were many other ways he might have described her. Beautiful would do for now.

But the middling patch of violet on her left cheek stole a fraction of her grace. Her emotions were so well hidden on her face that he didn't know where or how to ask the question. He was foraging her a silent explanation, wondering what could have caused her restless eyes of gold to grow feeble.