02: Rick Grimes' Arrival

When morning came the next day, I was one of the last people to wake up. I must've truly been exhausted and not even realized it, and despite the worrying circumstances, I actually got a decent night's rest.

After eating a small breakfast that morning, I decided to help out with the chores around camp. The rest of the kids were down playing by the quarry, and that's where I honestly wanted to be. But, I knew that, with the way Uncle Merle and Dad acted around strangers, they were bound to make a bad impression, and I didn't want to be included in that.

Although, I knew my dad had a sweet side, even though I've only seen it on a couple occasions. The greatest example that I could remember was after a really bad fight between him and Merle. It was one of the few times they had gotten physical, and were throwing stuff at each other, trying to punch each other in the face. Eventually, Uncle Merle ended up storming out of the house in a fit of anger, cussing and screaming at the world.

During that time, I was in my room, trying not to bawl my eyes out. I knew Dad didn't like to see me cry, whether it annoyed him or he actually couldn't stand to see me upset, I didn't know. After a minute or so, Dad came in my room, and just sat down on my bed with me. He didn't say anything, he probably didn't know what to say, but he ended up staying in there with me for awhile. The day after, he let me stay home from school, since I was still pretty shaken up, and we just watched movies together for the day. We didn't talk about the fight at all, which, at the time, was a good thing for me.

Anyway, I spent most of the morning helping Lori and Carol with laundry. They were surprised that I wanted to help them, but didn't protest the extra hands. With so many people at camp, there was a lot of laundry that needed washing, and without the help of a washing machine. Luckily for me, though, I had been washing clothes by hand since I was nearly five.

After what must've been an hour or two of washing laundry, Carol, Lori, and I began to hear a strange noise coming up the mountain. It sounded like a siren. A very, very, very loud siren. A few concerned looks between us were shared before we hopped up from our seats and ran over to where the noise was coming from.

When we reached over the top of the hill, we finally found the source of it. There, parked in the middle of our campsite, was a red convertible with the car alarm going insane, and a smiling Glenn standing beside it.

"How the hell do you turn that thing off?" Dale asked, obviously angry.

"I don't know!" Glenn exclaimed, grinning like a child on Christmas morning.

Then, Shane rushed over to the car and popped open the hood, a wrench gripped tightly in his right hand. In less than ten seconds, thankfully, he had gotten the alarm to stop.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Shane snarled, his face red with anger. "You're gonna draw walkers here from miles away!"

"We had to lead them away from the building or else we wouldn't have been able to get out!... I'm sorry, man."

Shane shook his head, and exhaled a slow breath. "Just try and use your head next time," he said as he stomped off.

As Shane left, I noticed that, behind the convertible, a white truck was approaching, the same one the group had taken out. I smiled slightly to myself, and walked over closer to it, waiting for Uncle Merle to emerge from the back.