97: Doctor Dixon

After our big attack on the Sanctuary, many of the others split off into smaller groups to help take out a few outposts the Saviors had planted. Although, I had the privilege of going home after, thanks to my dad's sudden overprotectiveness.

Carol was with a group of Kingdomers, Ezekiel and Jerry included, with the goal of taking out an outpost, Jesus, Tara, and Morgan were working on another, while Rick, Dad, and a few others were in search of a stash of firearms. I didn't know if it would be any count, but before they went off, I gave them the approximate location of the jackpot of guns Rosita and I had come across a few weeks back. It probably wasn't much, but it was something, and right then, that's all we really needed.

When I got back to Alexandria, I saw Lea was already back, as she had gone with Jesus' original group. "I was unsportsmanlike, so they put me in timeout," she said proudly as I walked through the gates, outstretching her arms for a hug.

"Oh, stop," I said, rolling my eyes as I accepted the hug. Most likely, knowing Lea, she wanted to go home because she was exhausted, but wouldn't dare admit it.

"So, did you kick some Savior ass?" I heard a familiar voice ask, and I pulled apart from Lea gently.

"You know it," I said to Alex, who was grinning up at me with that innocent smile of his. I smiled back at him, and took the kid in my arms, enjoying one of his rare embraces.

When I released him, I saw Carl approaching with long strides, smiling broadly. "How'd it go?" he asked as I walked over, grinning when he took me in his arms.

"Fine, I think; everyone's still working on taking out some outposts, but it was going okay before I left," I said with confidence, nodding my head as it rested against his chest.

"Good; I'm glad," he said, and placed a soft kiss atop my head before pulling away from me.

"There's hardly any people here at all; it feels weird," Lea said, looking around at the empty Alexandrian streets. I followed her gaze, and saw that she was right; there wasn't anyone sitting out on their porches, or tending to the streets, or walking around. I was sure there were some people there, just probably ones who were too old to fight, or just couldn't because of some other reason. The only one who was there who would usually be fighting was Michonne, and she was down for the count due to serious injuries.

"It does feel weird," I agreed, nodding. "It's so... quiet..."

Not for long it wasn't.

It seemed as soon as I had uttered that statement, I heard the sound of a ferocious car engine approaching quickly behind me. Alarmed, I spun around just in time to see three cars barreling towards Alexandria's front gates; cars that didn't belong to us.

"Holy shit!" I yelled, and dove out of the path of the moving cars. Automatically, I swiped the gun strapped behind my back out in front of me, aiming it at the driver's side of the first car. Just by the way the men exited the car, guns drawn and faces contorted in anger, I knew they were Saviors.

I fired the first shot, effectively killing the first man I saw. After that, the twenty or so other Saviors had caught wind of what was happening, and had begun rapidly firing at the four of us.

"Use the gates for cover!" I yelled over the gunfire to Lea and Alex, who were on the opposite side of the cars as Carl and I were.