74: Wake Up

I wasn't sure how much sleep I got that night, but the thing I was sure of was that, as soon as I heard footsteps on the first floor of the house, I was out of the bed within an instant, Carl close behind. We took the stairs two at a time, and when we reached the ground floor, the first two people we saw were my dad and his.

Filled with relief, I threw my arms around Dad before he could even get a word out, and his were around me just as fast. I let go of him just so he could relay to me what had occurred on the run, and what he said made relief course through my veins.

"We took out the outpost; all of 'em are dead," he told me, nodding.

"Was that all of them, just that one outpost?" I questioned.

"We're not sure," Rick answered instead, looking over to me with that confident, leader-like gleam in his eyes. "But if not, we'll take care of them. Nothing that needs to be worried about."

Rick Grimes could not have been anymore wrong.

Later that day, Dad told me that Denise, who was Bailey's nursing assistant, had asked him and Rosita to go along on a run with her to a nearby pharmacy

Later that day, Dad told me that Denise, who was Bailey's nursing assistant, had asked him and Rosita to go along on a run with her to a nearby pharmacy. She also insisted that I come along, which, I didn't have any insight as to why, but I didn't argue either. It was good for me to go out on runs every once in awhile; it helped to keep me alert, and improve my strength.

Rosita and Denise sat in the seats of the pick-up truck we had decided to take while Dad and I hitched a ride in the tailgate. I remember discreetly asking him why Denise wanted to go outside the walls, she hadn't ever had the desire before, and he gave me a shrug. Although, I could tell he thought it was a good idea; more people in Alexandria needed experience in the outside world. The walls couldn't protect them forever.

After a short amount of time, the truck came to a halt in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere. Dad and I shared a glance before hopping down from the truck, walking around to the front to see what had happened.

Of course the road had been blocked. An enormous tree had collapsed in the middle of the road, completely sealing off our path. The tree was too big for us to move or maneuver the truck through, so our only option then was to travel on foot.

There was a set of railroad tracks nearby, which obviously meant a short-cut to our destination, so Rosita and I immediately began walking towards them.

"Hey," Dad called quickly, causing us to turn around. "C'mon, we're stickin' to the main road. 'S safer."

"No way," Rosita countered, her voice full of confidence. "The tracks are a short-cut; we'll get there sooner."