95: No Man's Land

"You ever hear the story about the stupid, little prick named Rick who thought he knew shit, but he didn't know shit? And he got everyone he gave a shit about killed?" Negan spoke in a musical tone, glaring up at Rick with pride in his eyes. "I'll give you a hint, it's about you!"

Rick snarled down at the contemptible man before him, and turned to say something to the trash leader. I was growling from my place behind the tree, watching with narrowed eyes as Jadis kept her gun aimed closely at Rick. Jadis said something in reply, quirking on of her dirty eyebrows at Rick.

"You pushed me. And you pushed me. And you pushed me, Rick! You just tried to blow us up, right? I get me, my people, but Eugene? He's one of yours, and after what he did, he stepped up. You people are animals! The universe gives you a sign and you just shove your finger right up its ass!"

The hold I had on my gun tightened, and it took all I had not to fire out into the crowd of Saviors, and just pray I hit Negan.

"Dwight, Simon," the dictator commanded, grinning. "Chop-chop."

I watched, seething, as Dwight and Simon climbed onto the back of one of the Saviors' trucks, pulling back a tan tarp covering a large object.

My breathing hitched in my throat when I saw that it was a shiny, wooden coffin.

They slid the coffin up onto the wheels attached to the bottom of it, and rolled it to the center of the truck, displaying it proudly for all to see. I had a sick feeling of who could be inside it, and the mere thought made my blood boil.

"So, you don't like Eugene anymore... you guys gotta like Sasha! I do, too, and I even got her packaged right here for your convenience! Alive, and well. Now, I brought her here so I wouldn't have to kill all of you, and not killing all of you, could get complicated. See, I know there's a lot of firepower left in there, Rick. So, I'll make this simple... I want all the guns you managed to scrape up. Yep, I know about those, too. I want every, last grain of lemonade you got. I want a person of you're own choosing-.." he pointed to his beloved baseball bat, '-..for Lucille... And Daryl... ooh, I gotta get me my Daryl back! You already failed as father, Daryl, but I bet you'll make a great soldier of mine."

That's it, I'm done.

"He didn't fail, douchebag, I'm standing right here!" I yelled, still remaining hidden behind the security of the large oak tree. I watched, peeking from between its branches, as Negan's eyebrows heavily furrowed, and he scanned the area around him with wary eyes. He recognized my voice, I knew he had by the look on his face.

I smirked, and stepped out from my hiding place, an eyebrow raised. "You're looking for me, right?" I questioned, walking forward proudly. "Well, here I am, alive and breathing. Did I surprise you? You look surprised. Have you peed your pants yet?"

Negan retained his shocked glare for another moment before it faded into an expression of pure rage. He didn't like being undermined, I could tell, and it appeared that I was beginning to get under his skin in a way that only a Dixon could.

"Like I said before... you people are animals..." Negan snarled lowly, shaking his head despondently at us.

I quirked an eyebrow, crossing my arms over my chest. "And what does that make you?"