42: Surviving

By the time night had fallen, Alex, Lea, and I had found an abandoned pickup truck with half a tank of gas, which is where we slept for that night. Since there was no backseat in the truck, Lea and I camped out in the bed, allowing Alex to have the inside. He kept Judith with him, considering it would be much warmer for her inside. It was cool that night, but luckily, I had found Dad's old poncho not too far away from the prison gates. As soon as I saw it, I picked it up and tossed it around myself silently. Neither Alex or Lea asked any questions.

Sleep evaded me that night. No matter how tired I might have been, I couldn't sleep. I just laid in the bed of the truck, covering up with the poncho, as I finally allowed silent tears stream down my face. It had gotten to the point where I could no longer hold them back, and I just had to let them fall.

When the morning sun began to rise, my tears were just starting to dry. After Lea woke up, the two of us joined Alex and Judith inside the truck, and Lea began driving to God-knows where. At that point, we were just riding around, hoping to find a place. Or, more realistically, for a place to find us.

After what must've been hours of endless driving, our truck came to a slow halt: we had run out of gas.

Without a word, the four of us clambered out of the truck, aiming to begin walking along the deserted road. But, before we could get too far, Alex stopped us.

"Hey, look at this," he said, pointing to a sign alongside the road.

Lea and I followed his finger, and she read aloud the words painted onto the old, wooden sign.

"Terminus; sanctuary for all, community for all. Those who arrive, survive... It looks pretty real, don't you think? I mean, they took the time to put up a sign, that must mean something."

Alex nodded in agreement. "Right now, seems like our best option."

Then, both of them looked to me, obviously wanting my input. I sighed, and let my shoulders bob up and down in a small shrug.

"Seems like our only option."

Lea gave me a small smile, followed by a nod. Being the optimist that she was, it didn't surprise me that she believed that "Terminus" would be our new home, but I, on the other hand, was skeptical. I also knew, though, that at that time, it was our best chance of surviving.

"Well, we better get going, then. It looks kinda far," she said, gazing back at the sign, showing a map. Judging from where we were, displayed by a red dot, and where Terminus was, I could safely say we were at least 60 miles away from it.

"We're gonna need another car," Alex said, gazing at the ground.

"Well... let's go find one," I said, looking over to the two of them.

They nodded in agreement, and together, the four of us set off down the road, walking side-by-side.